Time for a New Toy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooMajik

Reaction score
I'm not sure If this is where I should be posting this..

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

I'm just starting to get into Carbon Steel Blades. I like the look of Kiritsuke knives.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Continuing to develop my knives

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Can go either way
Edge Quality/Retention- Would like harder blades-Carbon Steel
Ease of Use- I'm very comfortable with my knives, though want something sharper
Comfort- I have some tendinitis problems, Lighter/sharper is better

What grip do you use? Western, I love the grip on my gratoned santoku

What kind of cutting motion do you use? generally tend to push cut or rock depending on what i'm cutting, chop.

Where do you store them? Knife roll, Purchasing a larger case

Have you ever oiled a handle? no

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? The crappy plastic ones you see in most kitchens

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? I have a diamond steel and ceramic rod.

Have they ever been sharpened? Just bought some glass stones

What is your budget? probly $250 cnd plus shipping

What do you cook and how often? I cook 5-7 days a week. I cook with a large variety of products, I work in a hotel with several outlets.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Canada or Japan for country of origin, I like sabatier as well.

I think kiritsukes don't add much besides looks and price. I would start with a good gyuto first, if you don't already have one, and go from there. Next I would replace the plastic board, especially if you're going carbon.

I have a good sized bamboo board back in Toronto, But I currently work in a hotel and wouldn't trust alot of my coworkers to respect it properly.

The Hiromoto sold no?

Ok, so the kiritsuke is kind of frivolous? I just picked up the cheap fujiwara carbon suji so that I've got a carving knife. I think for my purposes a gyuto would be unnecessary at the moment as I've got 3 chef knives (2 wusthof, 1 shun). I was thinking possibly a 6" petty knife ($100-150 w shipping budget), a nakiri ($175 budget) or a smaller nicer suji ($200ish) for multipurpose work (210mm maybe). I can't remember what it's called but it looks like a 3-4" santoku, near identical blade profile, Just really small & short. I'm pretty sure that is something I would enjoy.

Any recommendations on company would be good to go with. Places that are good to order from in Canada (would like to avoid International shipping charge from US)

WARNING-try a Chukabocho and you will be hooked! Push cut with a slight pull? Try one!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

You've got the cart way before the horse. Don't spend a dime on new knives until you make a commitment towards learning to sharpen properly and purchasing an adequate sharpening kit, and at least find out how much a good board costs.

Unless and until you can sharpen and maintain your knives, any money spent is wasted. I know it's not sexy, but that's just how it is.

BDL

I can appreciate what you are saying to me, I do understand. I think my Horse may be sitting in the cart for some reason?

I've got sharpening gear shipping to me as of Monday. When it comes to the board, I use a good board when cooking at home but it would be a waste to bring it in this kitchen. I understand that it's important. I try to use the wooden ones when I can but they are often in use for banquets.

It's as much about getting my collection going as it is knives to use at work. I have super low living expenses at the moment so I'm trying to invest some extra money in my career; knives, sharpening gear, books, small wares.

Bamboo boards are generally pretty awful on your knife edges. You would probably be surprised at how sharp your current knives can be when sharpened properly on whetstones.

Ok Cart -> Horse.

K, 1. Look into a decent board.

Looking forward to getting my stones. I usually make purchases once a month, Thanks for pointing me in a direction.

All being said. If I set the knife purchase back 3 months it will increase the budget to $350 cnd + shipping. So any advice is appreciated still so I can pick something to work towards. I'm still on the fence about the Gyuto though, could do with a Chukabocho maybe ;)

If you are looking to purchase knives in Canada I would recommend that you to look at Knifewear in Calgary or Tosho Knife Arts in Canada.

Yeah, Gotta save up for one of those..
Copied from his breaking news thread. Damn close to your $250 and shipping statement.

- A hair under $300
- Same handle shape, a little more tapering to the front
-Similar to my customs. ALL Burl Source woods, hand selected. I will mix up the bolsters and pins a little...
-Steel is CPM 154 for now at HRC 60.5 to 61
-Laser? Not really. Thin but not anorexic

Right now, there is a 40mm flat at the heel.
Bolster and pins... mostly stainless, but will toss in some copper, G10, maybe brass, or another wood. Whatever I decide to compliment the wood for that knife.
There will be NO CUSTOM option on these.
They will be sharp OOTB, but not taken to stones.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

Awesome thank you. several seams on my knife roll have given up, so that seems to be my most urgent purchase. I think I would have him do something simple for me 165mm petty or 240 suji rather then order a production line. I wounder how much it would be for something simple, aesthetics are secondary for me. Something that functions incredibly well. Wonder how much it will cost though.

Awesome thank you. several seams on my knife roll have given up, so that seems to be my most urgent purchase. I think I would have him do something simple for me 165mm petty or 240 suji rather then order a production line. I wounder how much it would be for something simple, aesthetics are secondary for me. Something that functions incredibly well. Wonder how much it will cost though.

Just PM him and ask.

Done n Done ;) I hope he's close enough that I can pay and pick up in person

I think it's worth spending the money to help support a Canadian with a true talent.

If I may counsel prudence....:joec:

If you are not sure about Chukabochos there is a carbon Dexter available on E-bay for ~$45.00. I love cleavers, believe they are a truly all-purpose knife, but check one out before spending any money. In all honesty, the old Dexter carbon Chukabocho I bought for $38.00 in 1982 will get the job done! Thay being said, a good gyuto seems to be the most common choice among everyone here.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

The vintage one? Unfortunately I have to get another knife case before anything else. Old roll is dead. 2 years from a 25 dollar roll isn't bad at all

Back