Quantcast
Scimitar or Suji
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scimitar or Suji

Scimitar or Suji

So I was dead set on a suji, but now I am thinking about maybe a scimitar. I am wondering under $100 should I go for a scimitar or should I swing for a used Suji/Fujiwara Suji. I break down meat at work from pork racks to teres major beef shoulder. I have a boning knife and I have a 240mm chef and a 270mm yanagi so it is not a huge necesity but I WANT A NEW KNIFE haha.

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    So I was dead set on a suji, but now I am thinking about maybe a scimitar. I am wondering under $100 should I go for a scimitar or should I swing for a used Suji/Fujiwara Suji. I break down meat at work from pork racks to teres major beef shoulder. I have a boning knife and I have a 240mm chef and a 270mm yanagi so it is not a huge necesity but I WANT A NEW KNIFE haha.
    If you can wait a week or two, I am going to be putting up some of my antique and vintage scimitars in the B/S/T section. we are talking old.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

What would the price point on those be? I am a line cook, and as someone in the industry you know that means I am broke.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    If you can wait a week or two, I am going to be putting up some of my antique and vintage scimitars in the B/S/T section. we are talking old.
    Prediction: The vintage scimitar Son puts up will be the fastest sale on this site. Smoke the 7 minute record that currently stands.

As for the suj/scimitar decision: If you're not breaking down large piece of meat i.e. beef sides, whole pigs, goats, etc, then you probably don't need a scimitar and a suj. will suit you just fine. But on the other side, scimitars are just fun to have.

About the only reason to have a scimitar is cutting steaks or breaking down meat, but if that is what you are doing they far surpass slicers.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

This is where it is tough for me. I break down meat now but getting more into pastry I will be splitting cakes, and such where a Suji is much better. Decissions Decissions.

My suj. is my cake cutting knife too.

Suji will be more versatile, but the scimitar will work better for butchery. You should be able to get a used or even new scimitar for $50 or less (like here) so if you can expand your budget a bit, or buy one, wait a bit, and then the other, you can still end up with both.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    What would the price point on those be? I am a line cook, and as someone in the industry you know that means I am broke.
    have you been paying attention around here? never ask me that question! I don't have an answer, but I always take care of the broke cooks.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    have you been paying attention around here? never ask me that question! I don't have an answer, but I always take care of the broke cooks.
    Sorry I'm new here . I will look for your sales.