Finally a check in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crothcipt

Reaction score
I have been thinking what I wanted to say here. I have been a cook on-off for the last 20 years. I first noticed that I hated my knife when I was doing a chuck drop in a slaughter house, packing plant. I would have to cut the shoulder tendon and let the ribs and everything else drop to a separate convayer belt. If the knife was to hit the bone at all I was screwed with that knife. Only having 2 slicers I got mad very fast. I ended quitting that job after a couple mo.

About 10 years ago I picked up a Global knife and went "wow" loved the knife, it kept a edge longer than any knife I had used or was using. I even got it so sharp that it cut through the salmon skin I was filleting. Right after that I ended moving back to Wyoming cause my parents are not doing well at all. I bought a couple global knifes here recently and was loving them until some guy on utube was talking how Globals were not considered #2 in the industry. He (I assume) went on to name Kramer knives and a few others. I watched Bob's vid's on utube and revised how right the poster was.

That was over a year ago and I am so enamored I want to start making knives. I am thinking that finding this forum is a god send, and am very fortunate to find many like minded people.

well, welcome and goodluck, I hope you achieve what you are looking for.

:welcome2:

imho....

What knife is "best" is an impossible question, even here where there is a concentration of truly knowledgeable knife knuts there is difference of opinion. There are disparate levels of production knives. I am recently learning after 30+ years that handmade custom blades are another level of workmanship and quality, here again you get into individual cutlery rubric. I recently spent $550 for a Saji Chinese cleaver, and have one on order from JKI-the differences in the two can only be appreciated by somone who values chukabochos in the first place! User, purpose, and opinion are all variables.

That being said, Globals are highly regarded as a production blade, but pale in comparison to a higher-end custom as discussed on this forum. This is defintely a place to learn, I am.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Back