Quantcast
Bowie vs. Chef
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowie vs. Chef

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.

Bowie vs. Chef

I a few mo. ago bought a "chef" knife from ebay. It has a beautiful handle, and good looking damascus blade. I got it for 20$ and got what I think is a Bowie knife. Its the thickest knife I own, it wedges about 2cm into a potato. I was wondering what would be the differences in the 2?

Any chance of getting a pic of this? It's kind of hard to confuse a 'Bowie' and a chefs knife.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I was wondering what would be the differences in the 2?
    Bowie knife: Preferred by Rambo.
    Chef's knife: Preferred by Ramsey.

took some pics last night. will post when I figure out were and how to link. Shouldn't be to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    took some pics last night. will post when I figure out were and how to link. Shouldn't be to hard.
    You can upload pictures to your posts. Just click "go advanced" and then click "manage uploads" and you can upload the images from your computer to the forum.

This should have worked if I did it right.

dam I was hoping the pic was a little larger, the blade thickness is 1/4 inch at the handle and doesn't go down much at all.

It appears to be a chef's knife made by someone who has never been near a kitchen.

That's not snark, just an observation made from looking at some kitchen knives made by smiths who only have experience with field or tactical knives. They get the profile OK, but the knife is too thick and the resulting geometry is useless in a kitchen.

It would probably be useful as a lobster splitter or to cut ribs into serving pieces if you barbeque.

Rick

Wow, that thing is a beast! Rick is right -- not much good for typical prep, but great for hacking/ splitting tough stuff. My first though was 'pig sticker', but I think it's a bit too small.

But for $20, it's a nice score. You can spend a lot more on a knife that may be just as limited in it's usefulness.

I had a coworker called it a Zombie killer. I was thinking on learning some grinding on it. But I also know that I need to do ton's more reading and learning before I can do anything with it. Ya for 20 I think I have got some good metal to work with.

+ Reply to Thread