Bowie vs. Chef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crothcipt

Reaction score
I a few mo. ago bought a "chef" knife from ebay. It has a beautiful handle, and good looking damascus blade. I got it for 20$ and got what I think is a Bowie knife. Its the thickest knife I own, it wedges about 2cm into a potato. I was wondering what would be the differences in the 2?

took some pics last night. will post when I figure out were and how to link. Shouldn't be to hard.:juggler:

took some pics last night. will post when I figure out were and how to link. Shouldn't be to hard.:juggler:

You can upload pictures to your posts. Just click "go advanced" and then click "manage uploads" and you can upload the images from your computer to the forum.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

:bonsai: This should have worked if I did it right.

dam I was hoping the pic was a little larger, the blade thickness is 1/4 inch at the handle and doesn't go down much at all.

It appears to be a chef's knife made by someone who has never been near a kitchen.

That's not snark, just an observation made from looking at some kitchen knives made by smiths who only have experience with field or tactical knives. They get the profile OK, but the knife is too thick and the resulting geometry is useless in a kitchen.

It would probably be useful as a lobster splitter or to cut ribs into serving pieces if you barbeque.

Rick

Wow, that thing is a beast! Rick is right -- not much good for typical prep, but great for hacking/ splitting tough stuff. My first though was 'pig sticker', but I think it's a bit too small.

But for $20, it's a nice score. You can spend a lot more on a knife that may be just as limited in it's usefulness.

I had a coworker called it a Zombie killer. I was thinking on learning some grinding on it. But I also know that I need to do ton's more reading and learning before I can do anything with it. Ya for 20 I think I have got some good metal to work with.

Not a great knife to prepare food, but a great knife to chase away those who want to eat my food... :) In any case, a steal at that price.

Stefan

Judging by the complete lack of taper my first thought was cheap pakistan damascus crap. Someone posted something similar before, ebay listing had a load of vintage/antique/handmade blurb/crap.

lol yep ebay. from London. Speaking of Pakistan I got a descent knife from there that took less time to get here, than the one I ordered from the same state I'm in.

That is like a Western Daba. I have a Tojiro DP Western Daba and it is about that thick. I use it for lobster, crab or very hard vegetables. Really a handy knife in my kitchen from time to time.

Do not insult us Bowie makers. That is a giant bushcraft knife.:big grin: As for paying $20 for a damascus knife................well, I'll just leave it at that.

I'm sure for $20 you ain't getting superb heat treat or steel either. It might be a nice blank to practice your grinding skills on, but as for ever being a decent knife....doubt it.

Hmm I don't see any pictures. Wait, there they are. That is a strange creature you have there.

I'm sure for $20 you ain't getting superb heat treat or steel either. It might be a nice blank to practice your grinding skills on, but as for ever being a decent knife....doubt it.

That's a lot of grinding. I had to grind from 3/16 on a couple of occasions, not much fun.

This blade is 1/4. Probably pretty gummy too.

m

Maybe you could stick it in a bandsaw and cut right down the spine. You'd end up with two nice thin knives.

:)

Back