Stefan's About supplying your own wood for handles...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

with Mark creating a whole new pool of wood addicts ;) I get more and more requests to use wood that the customer provides. Just some thoughts on this:

- If the wood has been stabilized by a reputable source (like all of Mark's woods but also a few others), I may consider using the wood you supply.
- Since I am a wood addict myself, I may already have that same wood in my own stash. I don't dare to calculate it, but I would estimate conservatively that I have paid over $8,000 for the wood I have sitting around. So this becomes a little bit like bringing your own groceries into a restaurant and asking them to cook it for you... I had a few occasions, where my own wood was nicer than the provided pieces, but in any case it would be a nice gesture if you checked back with me what I have before you go ahead and buy if you have me in mind to make a handle. In the end, I am flexible with this, e.g. I have accepted some of Mark's heirloom koa because I do not have that exact same quality available.
- I am very bad on the business side of this. Generally I do not take the wood prices enough into consideration unless it is a very expensive or very rare piece. For example, I have made handles from wood I received as a freebie but charged the normal price, but more often I have used woods that I could have sold for $70-80 - and also charged the normal price. In my calculation, most of the price gets determined by the work time, even if I am hurting myself a bit with that. So, if you supply a piece of wood, please do not expect the price to go down by whatever you paid for that piece.
- When making a handle, something can always go wrong - I drill the piece the wrong way, I sand it too small, there are hidden cracks in the wood, the figuring looks different after it is sanded down etc. Of course, I will treat every piece I work with as carefully as possible, but please understand that I can not take any responsibility for wood that was sent to me.

All that said, there are still no news on the job front, so I am coming to the point where I have to see how much I can accept and finish realistically in the time I still have available here. Currently, I am aiming at finishing everything on my list by the end of May. I am still accepting orders if I think I can get them done in time. Things are moving along right now, and I also hope for spring break, in about 4 weeks, to give me an extra boost. After that, I will know better what work load I can handle. I hope I will also have a better idea about the job situation by then.

Thanks,

Stefan

That sounds reasonable. When you go to a restaurant it is not acceptable to bring your own bottle of wine (for uncorking) that they also have on the restaurant wine list.

k.

Following that simile then Stefan is just charging a cork fee. Again, reasonable and expected.

Back