Quantcast
James Beard Semi-Finalist List
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Beard Semi-Finalist List

James Beard Semi-Finalist List

Just thought I would post this. I think I am going to try hit a couple of these restaurants this year. I've already been to 6 or 7 of the restaurants on the list. Minneapolis usually performs pretty well.

http://www.jamesbeard.org/pdfs/2012_JBF_Awards_semi.pdf

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Yep not on it this year either. Knew I wouldn't be, but can always look.

I've often wondered if any of the chefs here are working in restaurants that have garnered a michelin star or won a James Beard award. Not that that means anything really, but it interesting to me.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Cool -- thanks for posting.

The JBA is a politicol football and one of the few dreams I won't be able to accommplish. I have come to the conclusion that keeping people employed is more important.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I agree with salty. I think it is more for foodies to name drop than what James Beard would want. But then again I know very little of the man and what he would want. I only know he LOVED to eat. Don't get me wrong most of what I have seen from the chef's on the lists is phenomenal.

I think a lot of the new restaurants, new chefs and rising stars are the best part. A lot of the other categories are full of the usual suspects. They actually seem to rotate them. For instance Paul Kahan has at least three restaurants (I think) and it always seems there is one on the list for Chicago/Midwest. But I have recently eaten at the Bachelor Farmer in Minneapolis a couple of times and it is amazing. It's only been open since August 2011, so the political football has yet to be passed around much for them. They made the list in the first year and it is a well-deserved honor. Foodies or not, they make some amazing food there.

k.

Edit: Plus Bachelor Farmer has an amazing semi-offisite bar that will likely make it on the JBA list in the future. The guy studied under that Japanese cocktail guru apparently. The best cocktail I have had in the last 10 years has been at that bar.

It also perpetuates the "rockstar" myth that chefs seem to have these days.

Philly is represented by two restaurants, neither of which are JBA caliber, at least IMHO. But last year my favorite place was a finalist and was most worthy and deserving.

And yeah, chefs are the new rock stars, whereas years ago they were known for their cooking chops only to their peers. Not necessarily fair, but it elevates the restaurant industry, which is a good thing.

Like the celebrity chef concept or hate it, the vast majority of those people got where they are by a lot of hard work and skill.

If anyone is in the San Fran. area my friend's restaurant AQ just got nominated for best new. Send me a PM and I'll set something up.

I've work with a number of people that have been a part of Beard nominated kitchen or have cooked at the Beard house on invite. And yup, pretty much a friends scratching each other's back thing.

+ Reply to Thread