• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

another rare stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
well, here is another rare and unusual stone. When I was younger I dabbled in jewelry making as every good Indian does.lol One of the things that we used to sharpen and burnish our tools were graver stones. These usually were made out of natural beryl or sintered rubies. They always came in small sizes usually about 1in x 2 or 3 inches and about 1/2 inch thick at the most. Well, I forgot all about them until I joined this site. The trigger was finding out that Spike was a retired goldsmith. So, I emailed him a few months ago and asked him if he knew if any suppliers made large stones that could be made into sharpening stones. He got back to me and said that his supplier hadn't seen any and that if they could find it that it could be quite expensive. He also wasn't sure how good the stones would be as sharpeners as they are very fine and would probably polish instead of giving you that bite you want in a knife edge. Being the stubborn person I am I spent the last few months searching for a supplier and found almost exactly what I wanted, but a little bit better. This is an extremely hard 3k ruby side and a much softer 10k agate side. for some reason the agate side photographed dark, that streak is actually white and is not a crack, just a natural feature of the stone.
This stone is a combo stone
half synthetic sintered ruby 3k
half natural agate 10k
200mm x 50mm x 25mm
$250.00 shipped

ruby1.jpg

ruby2.jpg

ruby3.jpg

One of the guys member of SRP, showed me a Chinese website that sold those , there were a ton of them- Combo like this one , green , black ,blue red yellow, mixed colors etc. Cool looking stones.

Doo. I hate it when that happens. I know I have over paid on a many things only to find out later. Its a sick feeling.

it actually works incredibly well. I was pretty surprised actually, I put about five knives on it and at first it didn't seem like I was doing much just sliding back and forth, then I made the rookie mistake of sliding my thumb just barely along the edge and snick almost to the bone. *****! I really like the edge, toothy yet polished. It doesn't skitter across a tomato. nice see through slices. this is definitely a splash and go as the stone is too dense for soaking, it doesn't absorb water.

PM sent.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Back