Bacon, parsleysauce ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
I kept this dish (student challenge) very simple. Usually we poor parsleysauce over our potatoes and throw in some bacon slices = one big mess that taste great :hungry: Another variation is breaded fried bacon. I tried to do a mix of several things, fried pigskin, baked bacon (3 hours on low heat), potatoe, parsley, bechamel and breadcrust with bacon flavor.

before.jpg

Didn't want to poor sauce on the plate so I had to figure out a way to disguise it. I ended up using the fried breaded ball for this (the bechamel is inside the ball and you got to cut it open for it to show). The next picture shows how.

after.jpg

Maybe not the best dish but once again I had to think out of the box = learning process. Managed to do this the same day I got the idea, so I'm pleased :lol2:

I keep coming back to this post and trying to figure out how one would go about making a perfect bead ball let alone one with gravy in it.. and well.. Im just amazes and bedazzled.. and super impressed. Great photos also peco

I keep coming back to this post and trying to figure out how one would go about making a perfect bead ball let alone one with gravy in it.. and well.. Im just amazes and bedazzled.. and super impressed. Great photos also peco
I suspect it was made, then frozen and then deep fried to cook:)

Well the "secret" is to roll a butterball - then roll it in a mix of breadcrumbs and egg. Put it in the freezer for approx. 20 minutes. Make a hole with a needle (all the way into the butter). Now fry it, the butter will melt - dry ball on a piece of cloth. When plating inject the bechamel into the ball (you already made the tiny thole before you fried) and voila :nunchucks:

I took the same ingrediences and played a little more. Same stuff - different outcome.

Version_2.jpg

Looks awesome!

If only our teacher hadn't sucked and we'd actually get time to get good stuff like this together.

Hell, i'll try this later. It seems like quite a bit of waste of butter, and oil. But that result makes it worth it.

Looks awesome!

If only our teacher hadn't sucked and we'd actually get time to get good stuff like this together.

Thanks, well I started as an apprentice in May last year. Never cooked before, no real tutoring, especially on the subject plating - just jump in, try things out - and you will be fine for sure :D

I love it! I don't get to do stuff like this often enough as our usual clientelle at the CC are "just feed me" people that wouldn't appreciate let alone understand food this involved.

I really look forward to your posts. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

Looking good, the second one especially.

First one was more a matter of technique - the ball ....

The first one is very impressive, but for me the second one is more appealing.

Thanks, well I started as an apprentice in May last year. Never cooked before, no real tutoring, especially on the subject plating - just jump in, try things out - and you will be fine for sure :D

Oh, i got the impression you were in culinary school. Yeah, i kinda have that deal with a restaurant here in Sweden, AG. I come there when i have time and help out. There i mostly work on the tempo, steal recipes, get contacs and get my foot in. I love that place. It's awesome. And it's simple - no ********, good quality food. I've gotten to meet lots of interesting people there too.

I've learned more there in a few weeks than culinary school has taught me the last three years. It was a good school the first year, but then the culinary teacher up and left, he was awesome. Then we got this one. Not good at all. Neither in teachings, neither in likability. He's gotten a shitload of people wanting to abandon the restaurant business. Most of which are the few students i think will be able to handle the business.

Candle,

I'm in school right now but I guess we are educated in a different way. I started as an apprentice in May 2011. Then worked until January this year. Started in school and will go back to work in the middle of March. Then next January I will go to school again etc. ...

Seems like you have a real talent for plating! I play around with it every time I cook but nothing ever comes out looking that well. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming :D! Definitely giving me ideas on how to improve.

Candle,

I'm in school right now but I guess we are educated in a different way. I started as an apprentice in May 2011. Then worked until January this year. Started in school and will go back to work in the middle of March. Then next January I will go to school again etc. ...

Yeah, your school is much better. We have too little actual work-experiance in our school, 4 weeks at a time, two times a year.

And our teacher don't even allow us to choose the place we want to be at ourselves. Completely worthless.
And we don't get to experiment or do something interesting when we're in school. It's prolonged basics, then just repetition of the same old things.

Complete ********, taught by an arrogant and dry man.

Now i'm off for a month at Gyldene Freden atleast. Then it's just a few weeks until i can actually try to find a good place to get some real experiance at.

Seems like you have a real talent for plating! I play around with it every time I cook but nothing ever comes out looking that well. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming :D! Definitely giving me ideas on how to improve.

Thanks, T ... and I will ... I learn a lot from these experiments :D

And our teacher don't even allow us to choose the place we want to be at ourselves. Completely worthless.
And we don't get to experiment or do something interesting when we're in school. It's prolonged basics, then just repetition of the same old things.

Same in my school, no plating until next year ... and of course basics - so not that different anyways :D Obviously you become what you put into it - hard work, lot's of thinking and practise :cheffry:

Same in my school, no plating until next year ... and of course basics - so not that different anyways :D Obviously you become what you put into it - hard work, lot's of thinking and practise :cheffry:

But thing is - i'm in the last year. We haven't gotten to do anything - interesting, no playing around with texturas or doing any molecular stuff, and we haven't gotten to do anything more gastronomic.
I think that's something we should get to play around with, fun and learning. We haven't gotten to learn any of the unrelated skills necessary for a chef - like sharpening or learn about knives.
Or well, we did have a 10 minute lesson on knives where most was complete ********.

We have a restaurant where we serve guests - but it's nothing superfancy. Most everything made from the start but it's simple stuff. (Simple is good, but not always. We need variation and to learn different things.)
Lucky as we are - we are connected to a bigger hotel, so i've learnt more from the chefs there. Especially one that i love. One that believes in me.

Yeah, that is completely true. Something many people don't realize. Especially in this business, it takes alot of blood, sweat and tears in the beginning.

Back