Quantcast
Bacon, parsleysauce ... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bacon, parsleysauce ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Looking good, the second one especially.
    First one was more a matter of technique - the ball ....

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    First one was more a matter of technique - the ball ....
    The first one is very impressive, but for me the second one is more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    The first one is very impressive, but for me the second one is more appealing.

Thanks, well I started as an apprentice in May last year. Never cooked before, no real tutoring, especially on the subject plating - just jump in, try things out - and you will be fine for sure
    Oh, i got the impression you were in culinary school. Yeah, i kinda have that deal with a restaurant here in Sweden, AG. I come there when i have time and help out. There i mostly work on the tempo, steal recipes, get contacs and get my foot in. I love that place. It's awesome. And it's simple - no ********, good quality food. I've gotten to meet lots of interesting people there too.

I've learned more there in a few weeks than culinary school has taught me the last three years. It was a good school the first year, but then the culinary teacher up and left, he was awesome. Then we got this one. Not good at all. Neither in teachings, neither in likability. He's gotten a shitload of people wanting to abandon the restaurant business. Most of which are the few students i think will be able to handle the business.

Candle,

I'm in school right now but I guess we are educated in a different way. I started as an apprentice in May 2011. Then worked until January this year. Started in school and will go back to work in the middle of March. Then next January I will go to school again etc. ...

Seems like you have a real talent for plating! I play around with it every time I cook but nothing ever comes out looking that well. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming ! Definitely giving me ideas on how to improve.
    Taylor

Candle,

I'm in school right now but I guess we are educated in a different way. I started as an apprentice in May 2011. Then worked until January this year. Started in school and will go back to work in the middle of March. Then next January I will go to school again etc. ...
    Yeah, your school is much better. We have too little actual work-experiance in our school, 4 weeks at a time, two times a year.

And our teacher don't even allow us to choose the place we want to be at ourselves. Completely worthless.
    And we don't get to experiment or do something interesting when we're in school. It's prolonged basics, then just repetition of the same old things.

Complete ********, taught by an arrogant and dry man.

Now i'm off for a month at Gyldene Freden atleast. Then it's just a few weeks until i can actually try to find a good place to get some real experiance at.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Seems like you have a real talent for plating! I play around with it every time I cook but nothing ever comes out looking that well. Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures coming ! Definitely giving me ideas on how to improve.
    Thanks, T ... and I will ... I learn a lot from these experiments

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
    And our teacher don't even allow us to choose the place we want to be at ourselves. Completely worthless.
    And we don't get to experiment or do something interesting when we're in school. It's prolonged basics, then just repetition of the same old things.
    Same in my school, no plating until next year ... and of course basics - so not that different anyways Obviously you become what you put into it - hard work, lot's of thinking and practise

Same in my school, no plating until next year ... and of course basics - so not that different anyways Obviously you become what you put into it - hard work, lot's of thinking and practise

But thing is - i'm in the last year. We haven't gotten to do anything - interesting, no playing around with texturas or doing any molecular stuff, and we haven't gotten to do anything more gastronomic.
    I think that's something we should get to play around with, fun and learning. We haven't gotten to learn any of the unrelated skills necessary for a chef - like sharpening or learn about knives.
    Or well, we did have a 10 minute lesson on knives where most was complete ********.

We have a restaurant where we serve guests - but it's nothing superfancy. Most everything made from the start but it's simple stuff. (Simple is good, but not always. We need variation and to learn different things.)
    Lucky as we are - we are connected to a bigger hotel, so i've learnt more from the chefs there. Especially one that i love. One that believes in me.

Yeah, that is completely true. Something many people don't realize. Especially in this business, it takes alot of blood, sweat and tears in the beginning.

+ Reply to Thread