• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS - Moritaka Cleaver 190mm - $120

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-rat

Reaction score
I am selling my Moritaka Cleaver 190mm. I bought this knife a couple of years ago and have used it a lot over that time. It is in Aogami Super.

This knife takes a pretty killer edge and cuts as good as my heiji despite its thickness. The handle is in mint condition...which is surprising to me for all that it has been through.

I am selling the knife at this price - when I bought it from **************.com it was $265 - because like I said above it has been through a lot.

Two things you should know.
1) A friend of mine used this recently when we were in a desperate spot at work breaking down a whole hog in front of a couple hundred people and short on proper knives (don't ask how we got ourselves into that situation!) and he used it like a deba to go through the joint at the ham...probably a 1.5mm divot in the edge. He then FIXED THE EDGE PERFECTLY...so there is no 1.5mm chip anymore. But this leads to point two...
2) Dave's critiques of Moritakas hold true on this blade too. As you can see in the photo the edge is bowed. This knife actually cuts better than it did before all of this most of which I attribute to my buddy's sharpening skills.

I am not selling the knife for these reasons...I really am not. I have simply seen the light and bought a couple of gyutos and havent used this knife at work for 6 months. I use it at home relatively frequently and still love using it...but I need a new petty knife and am raising funds for that.

Here's some pictures IMG_0523.jpgIMG_0520.jpgIMG_0513.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

PM sent.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I wanted to make it known that I forgot to include a detail and it was a big forget! I PM'ed Has to let him know that I forgot to mention that this blade has a very small hairline fracture close to the heel. I have attached a couple of pictures to show this. It does not affect the performance of the blade. You can feel it slightly but it doesn't affect the cut. It has not spread and is probably 1mm long. I know this is a big something to forget but I actually forgot it was there and in the interest of honesty for a sale and full disclosure for all of you guys I wanted to post here as well. IMG_5133.jpgIMG_5143.jpg

PM box full, please clear.

Hax the Cook

Hey guys

Well this one is back up for sale $120 for the knife shipped. Paid through PayPal.

Hey guys...any takers? I know this knife sounds like a piece of crap but it cuts like a dream. Takes a killer edge as it is Aogami Super. $100 for the knife. $20 for shipping (it's not light, especially in its box) and to offset the couple of bucks PayPal will skim off. Thanks for looking.

I'll likely trade my 10" Nogent Chef for it, if you're interested.

Ok Guys...

1) Sorry Lefty for never responding...I got someone who made a bid for this and forgot to get back to you.

This knife has come back on the market as they want the Mizuno Instead....so

2) Answering the question "Is it fixable?"

I am no pro sharpener and that thread helped me understand this issue a little better especially Dave, Maxim, and Blienek's further comments on the issue.
So I took the knife back to the stones. My low grit is currently a 400 Super Stone...this stone blows. It dishes like crazy cuts sort of fast but not as fast as the Gesshin 2000 I have.

I worked the low end where the bow is most pronounced for about 30 minutes on each side and was able to even it up a little more but obviously will need more time. I think it would even out.

Regardless, my understanding has been that this issue with Moritaka makes it such that you cannot run a burr the length of the cutting edge because of the twist in the hagane.

I was able to raise a burr the length of the cutting edge. And able to refine that edge on the Gesshin 2000 and finishing on the 5000 Super Stone. Testing on some carrots produced excellent cuts with no accordian business. The knife doesn't hit the board perfectly even but it cuts fine.

I do not know if this settles the issue AT ALL but it does show that this knife can and will sharpen well an can be used just fine. Perhaps there is something hidden further into the steel but I don't think that the price of this knife makes that to prohibitive...but I would understand if no one wanted to take a chance on it.

Also if Dave or Maxim or anyone else wanted to comment on this post I most certainly welcome it because as I have said through this whole saga with selling this knife that I have had some bummer experiences with Japanese knives and don't like spending money on something that isn't fully disclosed.

SO THIS KNIFE IS BACK ON THE MARKET with a small price reduction - $110 Shipped and Paypal only

Thanks

G

Back