Quantcast
Immersion circulators

Thread: Immersion circulators

Immersion circulators

Just wondering if anyone here has built their own immersion circulator?

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/d...-for-about-75/

Looks solid but I'm wondering that I'll end up having to buy a polyscience one anyways for some reason.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I was wanting to make one of these a few years ago. There was one the seemed more elaborate and more $$ to make. This seems like a cool thing to try.

No, but an immediate improvement I can think of having read the article is to incorporate a water sensitive switch so that the machine won't heat up unless the switch is submerged

I built that about a couple years ago. It works like a champ, and it's not all that hard to do. Reading through the comments was really helpful. Mine cost more because I bought better parts and also stuck an outlet on the box so I can plug in the probe and the pump/heaters, making them easy to replace if necessary. I'd recommend using an aquarium bubbler for the circulation - I've had the fountain pumps fail in higher water temperatures. I also used an electric SSR and put in a heatsink (the relay gets pretty hot) which added a bit to the cost but should improve longevity.

Do you still use it? How often does it get used?

What temps do these things need to hold at?

Why can't you just use aquarium equipment and an oversized heater?

I use it every now and then, not as much anymore because I don't have as much free time. It is very useful for pasteurizing eggs though, and for making perfect eggs.

I regularly get temperatures up to 140 degrees, sometimes 160s for short ribs. I initially tried aquarium heaters which I wired to be always on, but they could get up only to 100 or so. Not nearly hot enough.