Sous Vide Immersion circulators

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has built their own immersion circulator?

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/

DSC_0041.jpg

Looks solid but I'm wondering that I'll end up having to buy a polyscience one anyways for some reason.

I was wanting to make one of these a few years ago. There was one the seemed more elaborate and more $$ to make. This seems like a cool thing to try.

No, but an immediate improvement I can think of having read the article is to incorporate a water sensitive switch so that the machine won't heat up unless the switch is submerged

I built that about a couple years ago. It works like a champ, and it's not all that hard to do. Reading through the comments was really helpful. Mine cost more because I bought better parts and also stuck an outlet on the box so I can plug in the probe and the pump/heaters, making them easy to replace if necessary. I'd recommend using an aquarium bubbler for the circulation - I've had the fountain pumps fail in higher water temperatures. I also used an electric SSR and put in a heatsink (the relay gets pretty hot) which added a bit to the cost but should improve longevity.

What temps do these things need to hold at?

Why can't you just use aquarium equipment and an oversized heater?

I use it every now and then, not as much anymore because I don't have as much free time. It is very useful for pasteurizing eggs though, and for making perfect eggs.

I regularly get temperatures up to 140 degrees, sometimes 160s for short ribs. I initially tried aquarium heaters which I wired to be always on, but they could get up only to 100 or so. Not nearly hot enough.

Back