Quantcast
"Fresh" Tuna - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Fresh" Tuna

My first wahoo was a 50 pounder that I caught on the Hump off of Islamorada when I was 16 or 17. I sat in the chair and watched it strip pretty much all of the 80 pound dacron braid off of a Penn International 80. That was about it for a fight, but it was pretty wild watching a fish that size almost spool a reel that was there in case we got a hit from something big and toothy like a mako. The last wahoo that I caught in Mexico was turned into a Rubbermaid shirt box full of habanero laced ceviche right at the dock by our local mate. THAT was some tasty stuff and it fed half of the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    My first wahoo was a 50 pounder that I caught on the Hump off of Islamorada when I was 16 or 17. I sat in the chair and watched it strip pretty much all of the 80 pound dacron braid off of a Penn International 80. That was about it for a fight, but it was pretty wild watching a fish that size almost spool a reel that was there in case we got a hit from something big and toothy like a mako. The last wahoo that I caught in Mexico was turned into a Rubbermaid shirt box full of habanero laced ceviche right at the dock by our local mate. THAT was some tasty stuff and it fed half of the marina.
    Wahoo is absolutely my favorite to catch and eat. Wahoo caught on a ten foot jig rod vs heavy gear are definitely going to put on more of a show. Mexico is a lot of fun. Fished out of San Quentin, and Cabo. If you can ever do it try a long range boat out of San Diego 8 days to places like Roca Partida. 12-13 day for 200-300lb tuna. Mind blowing. People from all over the world fly in to do it.

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Wahoo is absolutely my favorite to catch and eat. Wahoo caught on a ten foot jig rod vs heavy gear are definitely going to put on more of a show. Mexico is a lot of fun. Fished out of San Quentin, and Cabo. If you can ever do it try a long range boat out of San Diego 8 days to places like Roca Partida. 12-13 day for 200-300lb tuna. Mind blowing. People from all over the world fly in to do it.
    As the price of fuel becomes more and more expensive and the Mex-ies keep messing with the licensing process, this might be going away. I got out of the chartering business for this reason. Sport fishing on party boats might be a thing of the past in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    As the price of fuel becomes more and more expensive and the Mex-ies keep messing with the licensing process, this might be going away. I got out of the chartering business for this reason. Sport fishing on party boats might be a thing of the past in a couple of years.

Which knives do you guys think would be best to dress the big tuna? Dexter Russell at low end, and maguro kiri at the top end.....what's inbetween??? Especially for those of us who dont know how to sharpen the single bevel deba...

I know it's a major bummer. I knew the late Bill Poole and went to the tribute dinner before his passing. Frank Lo Preste took over and was there when it was good. Guys like Bruce originally on Shogun who just bought a boat. He just got the Fortune. Don't know how he is going to do it. It's a headache just figuring out when and for how much just to go to Guadalupe. The Mexican government has gotten carried away. It's not just mordita it's bans. It is really a bummer. Such a cool industry. Never mind the MLPAs United Anglers fought on that but it's an uphill battle.
    Your avatar looks familiar. Did you used to go on Bloody Decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogbacchus View Post
    Which knives do you guys think would be best to dress the big tuna? Dexter Russell at low end, and maguro kiri at the top end.....what's inbetween??? Especially for those of us who dont know how to sharpen the single bevel deba...
    This is a knife forum. I love fancy knives, but honestly I will stick with my forschner it has a blue handle says 40455 and under that 5.7302.25 on the blade for my fish cleaning. I would like a hancho hocho or maguro for the novelty, but doubt I would use it on fish if I had it.

Engorged Member
    I'd probably get my as kicked if I showed up on a long range boat with a Tuna Sword, so if I had to bring a cool knife it would have to be a Phil Wilson Punta Chivato. I live a block from Frank Lo and have worked for him and he's not real hot on the way things are going right now.

I'd probably get my as kicked if I showed up on a long range boat with a Tuna Sword, so if I had to bring a cool knife it would have to be a Phil Wilson Punta Gorda. I live a block from Frank Lo and have worked for him and he's not real hot on the way things are going right now.
    No one is happy with what's going on right now. Many many years ago Frank lived in Costa Mesa
    I hang out with Joe Pfister every week with a really cool group of guys. I am very lucky.
    Frank has treated a lot of employees well. Sorry about whatever the Norm thing was for all involved. Nothing will ever top the Rollo thing wish I had meet him. Not a day goes by I don't wish I was down there working it is where I belong. When I am out on a fishing boat working or fishing. Everything is right in the world for me. I just can't do that to my kids. Have them see me a few hours a month. Hope we go fishing sometime.

Engorged Member
    Franks going to be fine. Its the young guys coming up that are having a hard time. The half day and 3/4 day guys that is. I'll spend the money for a mex license on a long range but making me buy a Mexi-day license for a 3/4 day off the Bullring is stupid.

pesky

You people are really making me feel old...reading this thread made me realize my last long range trip was almost thirty years ago.

Yo Yoshida used to charter the Royal Polaris for a nine day invitational trip and I was fortunate enough to be asked aboard one year. Must have been 1983 or '84. Frank Lo Preste was the skipper and he worked his butt off putting us into fish despite the mild El Nino conditions. I was so exhausted by the end of the trip I slept all the way back to San Diego. Good to hear that Frank is still in the business and doing well.

For what it's worth, my big fish cutter upper is a Forschner scimitar 40634. Nothing fancy but it works.

+ Reply to Thread