Quantcast
Choosing new 210/240 Gyuto? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing new 210/240 Gyuto?

Welcome Lieu!

Some great advice here. Good luck with your decision.

Extremely helpful replies, thanks. Talking just stainless as a start, seems the FKM are nice at a great price point and the carboNext looks like a solid choice. The Kagayaki VG10 I don't know what to think of. Going up a bit in price there's the Misono Molybdenum that seems to get praise, but what exactly is better about it? I also noticed it was HRC58.

Now, I was wondering about the practicality of those high-carbon blades. I'm familiar with the science behind steels and the effects on toughness and hardness(choosing the simplest measurements), but what kind of physical improvement in the knife are you looking at with, say, a Hiromoto AS? I don't have a problem applying a bit of perfectionism to something if it turns out nicer; I just don't know exactly what to expect. I don't mind patinas, and the blue patinas I've seen are gorgeous. The edge on the AS looks nice too in my opinion.

Someone mentioned maybe stretching for a Hattori HD. Checked out the HD-8 and, wow, beautiful. So very tempting VG10/60-61 core and the handle sounds comfortable? How exactly does the 50/50 geometry compare (maybe in terms of maintenance too)?

Thanks!

If it was me, I'd go with FKM for dirt cheap, good performance and toughness. CarboNEXT if I was going to spend a little more and get a little more sharpness out of it or Inazuma if I wanted pretty or the Hattori HD for the complete package and a little chippiness. The Hiro is unremarkable performer in every respect, other than edge taking. It is a bit of a tank so that could be a plus depending on what kind of user you are. It does easily take a nice, sharp edge but then, I'd say most good knives do.

I second the suggestion of the Fujiwara FKM stainless. It's a perfect "first knife".

It will also leave you plenty in your budget for the 1k/4k waterstone.

Rick

Engorged Member
    I keep waiting for someone to review the Artifex from ChefsKTG. It looks like a solid offering at that price point.

Welcome to the forum! These guys have lots of experience with great knives. A nice group to have your back.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    ...It looks like a solid offering at that price point.
    Sounds like you haven't tried it out. I don't see how your post is helpful.

Engorged Member
    Good point TK, I was subtly trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a quick review of the Artifex. You can be a real *******.

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Good point TK, I was subtly trying to hijack this thread and turn it into a quick review of the Artifex. You can be a real *******.

Pesky
    I thought so and yes, I am. Thank you.

Back to the point, you should likely go Fujiwara FKM....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com