Quantcast
Choosing new 210/240 Gyuto? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Choosing new 210/240 Gyuto?

Thinking of the FKM or CarboNext now. I think I can get a ~1k/4k whetstone pair for £30. Can you go wrong with a cheap ceramic rod? Or I'll just find a smooth one and know it's correct.

The Carbonext seems like a lot of knife for the money and it has a "beefy" handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Why would someone go with these over the Carbonext in this price range?

Also, are they really that much more stainless than the mystery "semi"-stainless used in the Carbonext?

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Why would someone go with these over the Carbonext in this price range?

Also, are they really that much more stainless than the mystery "semi"-stainless used in the Carbonext?
    Yes, they are, but that was not the reason it was not included in my list. The CarboNext has a track record of having a very poor OOTB edge. That doesn't mean mush to those of us who sharpen, but it could be daunting and frustrating for a newcomer. The knives I listed come with an acceptable OOTB edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Yes, they are, but that was not the reason it was not included in my list. The CarboNext has a track record of having a very poor OOTB edge. That doesn't mean mush to those of us who sharpen, but it could be daunting and frustrating for a newcomer. The knives I listed come with an acceptable OOTB edge.
    Ahh very good point about the OOTB edge.

JCK is now offering a "premium" sharpening job for the Carbonext knives.

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Ahh very good point about the OOTB edge.
    That's true but the way I see it is generally, new people wreck edges pretty quickly, anyway.

I think I'm going to get a CarboNext then and I'll happily put the care into sharpening it. A knife with a lot of potential is exactly the kind of thing I'd like. Truly invaluable information here