Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hated Woods

Hated Woods

I know that Dave in his subforum has a list of woods he doesn't like to work with, but after Stefan's post about people buying woods and sending them to him, I double checked Dave's list to see what I shouldn't buy if and when that time comes.

For those all make handles, boards, sayas etc., what are your least favorite woods to work with?

k.
    "What happened to those other underpants you had?" -- Flight of the Conchords

morning
    had to say it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

At our age, be grateful!!!

Haxthe Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

i wish i could be, heart drugs suck!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Cocobolo dust is pretty hard to breathe in large quantities... at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    Cocobolo dust is pretty hard to breathe in large quantities... at least for me.
    I can't think of any wood I hate. I love cocobolo. The only problem is it loads belts very quickly, just a step below Lignum Vitae - fastest wood to load a belt. But cocobolo's smell and ease of drilling and sanding as well its stability makes it one of my favorite budged woods. I have several boards of it and will offer it for as long as I can obtain it.

Ebony is also my favorite, though fine dust will stain your hands and you have to wear respirator. For that matter, one should wear respirator with working any woods, including domestic hardwoods like walnut.

Poorly stabilized woods, particularly acrylic stabilized, are a huge pain to work with. Bits clog up with gooey stuff that needs to be removed immediately, or it will glue itself to warm bits and will have to be scraped. I won't work any woods stabilized by other than K&G and one or two other companies.

In terms of hardest wood to work with, I would say tiger maple and other highly figured (grain in all direction) hardwoods when carving a cavity for saya. Carving with the grain is not difficult even in hardwoods like maple, but against the grain or carving a difficult grain, could take a long time, there is tearing and chisels dull quickly. Sometimes I choose layout for the best figure, even if it is against the grain.

So in short, I don't know of any woods that I hate. I wear respirator, work clothes and take a shower after working woods like ebony.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Could mango wood cause problems? Mangos are related to poison ivy and can cause allergic reactions--would think the wood could be the same.

Engorged Member
    Mango can be super toxic.

I always disliked padouk because it makes an extremely fine paprika dust that floats in the air for days. It's also prone to tearout. The bright orange is very cool but the color fades within a few weeks.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

I'm with Marko as far as wearing respirators, especially with the rosewoods (cocobolo) and ebony which have an extremely fine dust I don't want to breathe in. I react to ebony dust immediately with coughing, sneezing etc. and I try not to use it too much. Other than that, I am pretty open to everything. Lignum vitae can be hard on the material as Marko said. Oh, I am using less palm woods because they can be a bit brittle even when stabilized. Walnut is not my favorite but that may just be because I didn't finish it right to get the results I expected. Not much else I can think of.

Stefan