Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chifunda

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for some months now and decided it's about time I joined the conversation.

Don't know why it's taken me so long to discover real quality kitchen knives. :scratchhead: I've been cooking from the time my grandmother had to put a step stool in front of the stove so I could help her make turtle shaped pancakes. That was sixty odd years ago.

And I'm no stranger to best knives; but I somehow never put the two together. I've owned and used hunting knives by Steve Johnson, Buster Warenski and George Herron among others and I managed to learn a little about what makes a fine knife from a toothless old reprobate my wife and I met when we lived in Southern California. His name was R.W. Loveless and I spent many a midnight hour with him supporting the bourbon industry and talking about guns, motorcycles, biplanes, my wife's apple pie, and of course, knives. Bob was fond of saying that a well made knife should look so good that you wanted to pick it up and feel so good that you didn't want to put it down. Over the years I've found that to be a pretty fair test.

I'm retired now and living on a hell of a lot less money than I was used to but I've managed to put together beginnings of a decent stable:

Devin Thomas Mid Tech 240 gyuto in 52100

Konosuke HD 150 mm petit

Butch Harner nakiri

Tojiro DP 150 mm honesuke

I'm not real thrilled with the Tojiro. I find the handle to be blocky and awkward and I don't like the balance but I keep telling myself that it's mainly for comparatively rough work and so it's perfectly adequate for the job. Not sure how long that rationalization is going to continue to work. Jon has this really neat Gesshin Ginga for sale and...

So thank you all for making this the fine site it is and for your contribution to my ensuing bankruptcy. :razz:

Welcome to the forum.

Nice start on the kit. If you like the way the Tojiro performs, consider having it rehandled. Matt (kalaeb) does some really nice Western handles. Here's a shot of a Tojiro 210 gyuto he did in amboyna burl:

IMG_1106.jpg

Rick

IMG_1106.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Nice start on the kit. If you like the way the Tojiro performs, consider having it rehandled. Matt (kalaeb) does some really nice Western handles. Here's a shot of a Tojiro 210 gyuto he did in amboyna burl:

Rick

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick...that may be the answer. It actually takes a decent edge and does it's job well. The handle is just so offensive to me.:puke:

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick...that may be the answer. It actually takes a decent edge and does it's job well. The handle is just so offensive to me.:puke:
You know, on a handle that big and blocky, you don't even have to take the handle off to modify the shape some. All you need is a few sheets of sandpaper (and some hard backing) and/or a belt grinder. Once you figure out more or less what you want, you can either keep the result or have it rehandled to spec.

You know, on a handle that big and blocky, you don't even have to take the handle off to modify the shape some. All you need is a few sheets of sandpaper (and some hard backing) and/or a belt grinder. Once you figure out more or less what you want, you can either keep the result or have it rehandled to spec.

I might as well give it a shot, even as a temporary measure. Don't have a belt grinder but I do have plenty of files, rasps, sandpaper and time.

Welcome, you're off to a great start!

Steve Johnson and Mr. Loveless? Those must be some beautiful knives -- your photos of them would be welcome as they are truly masters of their profession! Welcome....

Steve Johnson and Mr. Loveless? Those must be some beautiful knives -- your photos of them would be welcome as they are truly masters of their profession! Welcome....

I wish I could oblige but I no longer have the knives and didn't have the foresight to photograph them.

I gave up hunting as the ravages of age took their toll and the knives became too valuable to just sit in the gun safe. Sic transit gloria mundi. (Vain attempt to demonstrate how sophisticated I am by inserting Latin quote.):rolleyes2:

You're right though...my Johnson drop point was one of the only knives I've owned that was flawless. He and Loveless were really a dream team back in the old Lawndale shop!

Back