Quantcast
Need advice on 2 knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on 2 knives

Slightly over budget at $180, but perhaps the stainless, 180mm Gesshin Ginga wa-petty would fit the bill:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...wa-petty.html#

Might be worth a phone call to Jon at Japanese Knife Imports to see what he recommends.

If you are set on getting just a petty to act as a petty and honesuki, then I would steer clear of the lasers and go for something more robust or in the middle.

Personally, I love my honesuki and wouldn't want to ever be without it...not to mention I keep it at a rougher/toothier edge than my other knives.

And no way would I use my thin ass 210 Suisin IH petty to do a lot of the things my honesuki dis great at, especially for small butchery...its delicateness doesn't inspire confidence for certain things.

I myself, Orders a Fujiwara FKH to give Carbon steel a spin. Inexpensive, Seemed like a good intro knife to a new variety. It was cheaper then any of my Wuthofs.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

[QUOTE=Cadillac J;85407]If you are set on getting just a petty to act as a petty and honesuki, then I would steer clear of the lasers and go for something more robust or in the middle.

Personally, I love my honesuki and wouldn't want to ever be without it...not to mention I keep it at a rougher/toothier edge than my other knives.

Agree 100% honesukis are great for most kinds of butchery,but if you're doing alot of fruit,esp citrus,go for SS or clad..

no offense but im exactly the opposite. i use my 210mm suisin IH for everything my honesuki did. because it has some flex and is more narrow, i am able to debone a pork butt a little easier and it holds its edge much longer. i can take down a chicken in the same amount of time (although i use my mioroshi for whole birds). japanese tend to have a knife for every task but i only have 4.

if i never did fish, i would only have a gyuto and a petty. because i love fish i have to have a yanagi and a mioroshi deba on hand.

i just never cared for lugging around a whole knife roll full of single task cutlery. this is just my opinion though and around here i tend to be in the minority lol

mo knives, mo problems... not really though
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"