Quantcast
Smokers
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers

Smokers

Ok I'm going to add back some BBQ dishes to my menu this summer. I have done quite a bit in the past but over the pad 10 years I have worked at restaurants that already came equipped with altosham smoker. I like the smoker a lot and I'm inclined to just buy one for my place. The only drawbacks to the unit are one: the price ( about 5k ). 2nd: I kind of wish it had more/ longer amount of smoke, the timber box runs hot and is small so you only get a hour or two of smoke. The unit is sealed well (big big plus or most fall of the bone BBQ. and the smokey air does stay in there, so this is not that big a deal but thought id mention it. having never shopped around I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for other options and opinions.

Being a full service restaurant but not a BBQ joint as well as living in new York ( not much good BBQ competition) I think I would like to stick with a electric smoker (like the altoshaam) for the following reasons:
    The controlled slow cooking capability is a must. I have to be able to load the box up at the end of the night (2-4 am) and be able to go to sleep, come back with out any worry that I'm going to come back to over cooked meat.
    Not a must but a big plus is the altoshaam has hot holding capability.

I guess what I'm asking is with altoshaam you are paying a little bit extra for the name. Is there a better and or just as good smoker for 5k or less?

I there any reason I should consider a none electric smoker?

what kind of capacity you looking at?

Based on my research, at that price, there aren't many options for electric smokers especially if you want one with the capacity to do longer burns. There's the Fast Eddy FEC-100 (pellet fed), cabinet Cookshack models, the Ole Hickory CTO (gas and wood capability but more than 5000 if I recall correctly) and a few other cabinet type smokers that burn chunks of wood. Those are the ones that come to mind. I'm sure there are lots more at that price point, but from what I recall reading, the problem is that many are not compatible for indoor use because they cannot be properly vented or have the exhaust configured for indoor use.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I can 100% recommend the Fast Eddy FEC-100 by Cookshack. It'll run you about $3700 plus freight, but it has a lot of capacity, is very efficient and dead simple to operate. My dad and I have been cooking on one for years and it's held up really well, and we haven't really babied it. Temperature control is dead simple; just set it to your desired temp and leave it alone. I've heard it referred to as the outdoor oven because it's so easy to use. When you load the hopper full of pellets you will easily get 12-18 hours of non-stop smoking depending on your desired temps. It provides a great, authentic smokey flavor without being overly smokey and turning off people who aren't used to strong smoke flavors. You can only use wood pellets, but they're really cheap (about $15/bag), easy to find and come in a variety of woods. This is a true BBQ rig that wins competitions for many teams all the time and will be equally at home in a restaraunt.

The venting will probably be an issue if it must be run indoors, so I'm not sure how to work around that, but it's the one electric powered smoker that I can provide any real input on and if you can run it outside of the restaraunt or figure out how to vent the smoke outside then I can recommend it 100%.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smoke...k-Model-FEC100

Colin,
    I have no personal experience with the smoker you mentioned but thought I would throw out that the meats you are BBQing will not absorb smoke after a certain point is reached with the surface temps. A few hours should be fine for flavor. I know Fette Sau in Brooklyn uses alto shaam ovens for their BBQ.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I dont know how much the owner payed for this one, but he said he got it for a steal off of ebay.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    easy settings, we use it now primarily as a alto sham now.
    with casters it stands over 5 ft, with 6 shelves inside.
    I have always wanted to plumb a still for liquid smoke from it. also would be good for cold smoking.

The smoke pellets usually take about 2hrs to go through, but I have still seen smoke in there 8hrs after we turned off the smoker part. It stays sealed very well. Not sure about the company if they are even around.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I only need about 80lb capacity. I have been looking around myself and the cookshack's seem to be good chose, southern pride looks good too. Both seem to be better smokers then the alto. The ole hickory cto looks great too

try cabela's they have a bunch of quality large capacity electric smokers at good prices.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    this seemed what I think you were looking for, and its new
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bradley-Orig...#ht_556wt_1396

I know Fast Eddy personally, have competed against him many times. If you must have an electric, his is the best I have seen. What most of us REAL smokers (no offense, there is no barbeque north of Philadelphia and the pitmaster at the Firehouse is a Memphis native ) is use a wood fire and tend it throughout the day. At Mark's the dishwashers light the fire as part of their opening duties, the cooks load the smoker for the first run at 9:00AM. and the chef monitors the temperature humidity etc. and adjusts the fire accordingly; more meat more wood, clear day more water pans, etc. Is a wood fire out of the question in the city?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.