Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smokers

Another question is are you going to go the "purist" route? The competition guys have to smoke for 18 hours, have the smoker facing magnetic north, pray to the BBQ gods five times a day, etc, etc, but I have been to more than one very highly rated BBQ place in my time that committed cardinal sins like parboiling ribs briefly before they went into the pit.

PARBOILING RIBS?? No BBQ in Florida either, apparently. No offense, but there is a reason a lot of the competition guys's excess. btw, I align my smoker on a back azimuth to Memphis, not magnetic North!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Engorged Member
    Combi ovens are the secret to good BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Combi ovens are the secret to good BBQ.
    ?? Do tell B/C I got just about the best combi oven out there, thing cost more then my car.

I just want to add a few items to my menu, not turn the place into a BbQ joint. I grew up in Lake Charles, so I got deep south blood in me, good cooked at a few good spots over my 12 year cooking span in Louisiana, Arkansas, and south Carolina, just to name a few...yes it is true no good BBQ in NY with out looking real hard. Most will have to look hard to find me as well but my sauce, dry rub, and skills are just as good as 80% of the competition boys. Make a mean mustard Q, but that won't be on my NY menu, sad.

I smoke in a misquote cherry mix

Hot and fast! How much volume do you really need, then? I really think the Fast Eddy may be your best bet. Good luck! I have a mustard sauce named Sweet Caroline that has not made it to the bottle stage yet, along with 4-F made with my own hard cider moonshine. (A felony to make it, a felony to posess it, one to move across state lines, and one to sell it-giving it away counts at a competition counts) And yes the revenooers WILL write it all up seperately. I have some friends in the Kentucky Moonshine Society that will attest. Unofficially banned in KCBS and in writing at Memphis in May. I should smuggle some up there; the ATF has no sense of humor regarding shine in KY, I can't imagine what they are like up there!

A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post
    Hot and fast! How much volume do you really need, then? I really think the Fast Eddy may be your best bet. Good luck! I have a mustard sauce named Sweet Caroline that has not made it to the bottle stage yet, along with 4-F made with my own hard cider moonshine. (A felony to make it, a felony to posess it, one to move across state lines, and one to sell it-giving it away counts at a competition counts) And yes the revenooers WILL write it all up seperately. I have some friends in the Kentucky Moonshine Society that will attest. Unofficially banned in KCBS and in writing at Memphis in May. I should smuggle some up there; the ATF has no sense of humor regarding shine in KY, I can't imagine what they are like up there!

So what your saying is I'm going to have me some of the best white lighting some time soon? Love it!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    love that mix of woods, the last time I smoked I used cherry and apple wood on antelope (pronghorn). Everyone wanted more but didnt' have anymore, I didn't even get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    So what your saying is I'm going to have me some of the best white lighting some time soon? Love it!
    No current plans to visit NYC, but if I get the opportunity I will definitlely bring some! btw, this is hard cider; using apples and yeast rather than corn sour mash. Not as strong, ~ 130-140 proof, but much tastier!

I have two Pellet smokers and love them. As easy as using an oven, just set the temp and the hoper feeds the pellets to maintain the temp you set. I think Traegers commercial units start at $2,000 and go up to around $10,000. Of course I just have the backyard home style Traeger's, being just a home cook.

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post

Yes they do! I keep this little one in the trunk of my car, never know when you might have to split a hog

O and a whole line of Betty's