Quantcast
sujihiki action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sujihiki action

sujihiki action

There's a lot of talk about using a suji in place of a gyuto especially in places with limited space. I haven't seen much video though.

I have had one for a few months and have another with a different design on the way, but I'm still nowhere near as proficient with one as I am with a gyuto or cleaver.

Anyway, I was wandering the interweb and came across this guy:

-looks like maybe a 210 that has been used and sharpened way down?

Anyway, I just thought I'd kick off a thread and see what other suji-related media you guys might have ... *looks hopefully @ Theory... *

Pretty impressive with w suji

Sushi guys are the ones I see using sujis as all arounders. I think there is one of Matthias around somewhere, for example.

Yeah I saw this a while ago, this video was one of the reasons why I went and got a 210 petty. Interesting that he uses the finger on the spine grip and the way he uses the tip for everything. I would say I use my 210 petty nearly as much as my gyuto, it is invaluable during service for sort of filling in for odd jobs that a gyuto is a little unwieldy for

I saw this a while back. Think it was called basic knife skills. Great video. I want my basic to look like that.pretty impressive.

much more awesomer
    Are his hands small, or is he using a 270 for that cuke katsuramuki?

I use a 240 suji at home for all my needs and find that it's low blade height is perfect for my high-rise boardsmith. I tried to use a gyuto on it the other day and it felt clumsy and super awkward.

Engorged Member
    I love this video. I looked for it and couldn't find it. Thanks for posting Justin!

Pesky

This vid is great - watched it many times. I think I'm most impressed with how he doesn't lop off a knuckle since he's not using a finger as a guide.

All those commenters in youtube land who say don't ever use a grip w/ the index finger on the spine should watch this guy. I haven't seen many vids on using a suji, and the oens I have seen are primarily slicing stuff...

I have a theory about suji's being used in place of a gyuto - it's mainly a fad, a flavor of the month kinda thing, and that the suji craze has quieted down a bit in the past few months. I have a 210 suji that's prolly my favorite knife right now, but I only use it for a few things. I try it out in place of a gyuto and it's fun, but doesn't work as well for me on some things. The bottom line for me is use what you like and stick with it long enough and you'll get plenty good at it. Some like a cleaver, some like a gyuto, some like a suji - doesn't matter (unless it's a santoku!) Personally I like a 270 gyuto and a suji doesn't work as well for me. BDL did say something well penned a while back - a suji work better as a gyuto than a gyuto works as a suji.

And after all that - what is the primary purpose/role of a suji in Japanese cuisine? Is it an alternative to a yanagiba, or is used for entirely different purposes? Cheers! mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    ...he's not using a finger as a guide...
    I'm not sure he isn't. When I use a petty/suji for dicing, the spine of the knife actually touches my finger almost every stroke on the way up out of the cut.