Quantcast
sujihiki action - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sujihiki action

If I'm not mistaken, the "pointer finger" is a cary-over from traditional single bevel technique and the tip of the finger partially raps over the edge of the spine so it lines the blade up with the arm and keeps the wrist straighter,thus adding more control and precision.... Also keep the finger tips from wandering too low on short heeled knives. I'd never see it used when chopping though.

I was also amazed that this guy still has knuckles left, but I think what he's doing is bringing spine of his knife up into the underside(front overhang) of his knuckles.
    This is instead of rubbing the side of the blade against the top of the knuckles like you can with a taller blade.

Any guesses on the knife makes?

I'd love to see some more video/explanation from a suji pro. Maybe Jon will dust off the ol' line cook skills?
    Anyone?

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Thanks for posting the video, this guy's got some skills. +1 on amazement at knuckles still being in place.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Interesting that he uses the finger on the spine grip and the way he uses the tip for everything.
    I use the tip all the time similar to japanese knife society vids jon posted. I also use that usuba grip alot too. The last 1/4 of my knife sees very little action

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    lol the title is "basic knife skills", this guy is anything but basic.

I don't want to sound like Debbie downer but I kinda don't like the size inconsistencies. He's fast as hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    I don't want to sound like Debbie downer but I kinda don't like the size inconsistencies. He's fast as hell though.
    I wasn't going to say it either, but he is fast. He can work on evenness a bit more and precision a touch more. Still very impressive work

here is a couple more of his videos. i found that video a while back and really liked it. he has really good knife skills

It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Cool vids. I love cutting maki through plastic....because I find it very satisfying when you peel the plastic off at the end....yeah I'm weird

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    The bottom line for me is use what you like and stick with it long enough and you'll get plenty good at it.
    As the saying goes...."Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"