Media sujihiki action

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of talk about using a suji in place of a gyuto especially in places with limited space. I haven't seen much video though.

I have had one for a few months and have another with a different design on the way, but I'm still nowhere near as proficient with one as I am with a gyuto or cleaver.

Anyway, I was wandering the interweb and came across this guy:

[video=youtube;2YKRnv0aq-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKRnv0aq-8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]
-looks like maybe a 210 that has been used and sharpened way down?

Anyway, I just thought I'd kick off a thread and see what other suji-related media you guys might have ... *looks hopefully @ Theory... *

Sushi guys are the ones I see using sujis as all arounders. I think there is one of Matthias around somewhere, for example.

Yeah I saw this a while ago, this video was one of the reasons why I went and got a 210 petty. Interesting that he uses the finger on the spine grip and the way he uses the tip for everything. I would say I use my 210 petty nearly as much as my gyuto, it is invaluable during service for sort of filling in for odd jobs that a gyuto is a little unwieldy for

I saw this a while back. Think it was called basic knife skills. Great video. I want my basic to look like that.pretty impressive.

Are his hands small, or is he using a 270 for that cuke katsuramuki?

I use a 240 suji at home for all my needs and find that it's low blade height is perfect for my high-rise boardsmith. I tried to use a gyuto on it the other day and it felt clumsy and super awkward.

I love this video. I looked for it and couldn't find it. Thanks for posting Justin!

Pesky

This vid is great - watched it many times. I think I'm most impressed with how he doesn't lop off a knuckle since he's not using a finger as a guide.

All those commenters in youtube land who say don't ever use a grip w/ the index finger on the spine should watch this guy. I haven't seen many vids on using a suji, and the oens I have seen are primarily slicing stuff...

I have a theory about suji's being used in place of a gyuto - it's mainly a fad, a flavor of the month kinda thing, and that the suji craze has quieted down a bit in the past few months. I have a 210 suji that's prolly my favorite knife right now, but I only use it for a few things. I try it out in place of a gyuto and it's fun, but doesn't work as well for me on some things. The bottom line for me is use what you like and stick with it long enough and you'll get plenty good at it. Some like a cleaver, some like a gyuto, some like a suji - doesn't matter (unless it's a santoku!) Personally I like a 270 gyuto and a suji doesn't work as well for me. BDL did say something well penned a while back - a suji work better as a gyuto than a gyuto works as a suji.

And after all that - what is the primary purpose/role of a suji in Japanese cuisine? Is it an alternative to a yanagiba, or is used for entirely different purposes? Cheers! mpp

...he's not using a finger as a guide...
I'm not sure he isn't. When I use a petty/suji for dicing, the spine of the knife actually touches my finger almost every stroke on the way up out of the cut.

If I'm not mistaken, the "pointer finger" is a cary-over from traditional single bevel technique and the tip of the finger partially raps over the edge of the spine so it lines the blade up with the arm and keeps the wrist straighter,thus adding more control and precision.... Also keep the finger tips from wandering too low on short heeled knives. I'd never see it used when chopping though.

I was also amazed that this guy still has knuckles left, but I think what he's doing is bringing spine of his knife up into the underside(front overhang) of his knuckles.
This is instead of rubbing the side of the blade against the top of the knuckles like you can with a taller blade.

Any guesses on the knife makes?

I'd love to see some more video/explanation from a suji pro. Maybe Jon will dust off the ol' line cook skills?
Anyone?

Thanks for posting the video, this guy's got some skills. +1 on amazement at knuckles still being in place.

Interesting that he uses the finger on the spine grip and the way he uses the tip for everything.

I use the tip all the time similar to japanese knife society vids jon posted. I also use that usuba grip alot too. The last 1/4 of my knife sees very little action

lol the title is "basic knife skills", this guy is anything but basic.

I don't want to sound like Debbie downer but I kinda don't like the size inconsistencies. He's fast as hell though.

I don't want to sound like Debbie downer but I kinda don't like the size inconsistencies. He's fast as hell though.

I wasn't going to say it either, but he is fast. He can work on evenness a bit more and precision a touch more. Still very impressive work

here is a couple more of his videos. i found that video a while back and really liked it. he has really good knife skills

[video=youtube;RjWkO9A-Ckk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWkO9A-Ckk[/video]

[video=youtube;AQpDquwlv_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpDquwlv_g[/video]

[video=youtube;XJNj5df963A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNj5df963A[/video]

Cool vids. I love cutting maki through plastic....because I find it very satisfying when you peel the plastic off at the end....yeah I'm weird

The bottom line for me is use what you like and stick with it long enough and you'll get plenty good at it.

As the saying goes...."Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

Latest posts

Back