Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Cleaver-1, Bread knife-0

Thanks for all the welcomes to me on my last posting but my first posting on this forum!Thanks guys!

I just wanted to give an update on my cleaver adventures. I mentioned in my previous post that I was running my kitchen solely with a Tojiro 120mm petty, a CCK 1303 Cleaver and a Victorinox/Forschner serrated bread knife.

I bake crusty bread (Jim Leahey's no-knead recipe) at home every week and the Victorinox gets a workout.

My latest loaf of bread had completely cooled off and as I was reaching for the serrated knife, I glanced over at the CCK. The CCK said "Try me! Go ahead and try me on that crusty loaf. I dare you!" I said "OK, loudmouth, you're on!" I dropped the Victorinox.

I grabbed the cleaver and lined up on the bread expecting the cleaver to slip and slide on the crust. WRONG! It bit into the bread (Light Saber loud humming noise in background) and slid through the bread like Obi Wan Kenobi's light saber. Zap! Big slice of bread on cutting board with almost no effort.

I was amazed. Another and another slice. Same story. It was miles ahead of the serrated knife for slicing the bread! I put the CCK back on the mag holder and it looked at me and said, "Never doubt what we cleavers can do! Cleavers Rule!!"

Amen, brothers, Victorinox now is in storage drawer. CCK 1303 stands proudly up front waiting for its next mission.

By the way, I just got in yesterday a very beautiful, Tanaka 150mm, blue steel, Damascus Petty to upgrade my petty choices. I haven't really tried it out yet but I am looking forward to working with it.

Meanwhile, as Andy says: "CLEAVERS RULE!!"

So I recently just bought a Clever and today was the first day I used it on the line! It was amazing! I need some more practice with it but it was a sweet knife to work with!!! Its a sweet Shibazi clever ! p.s. Love Martian Yan!!

The thing about cleavers is that they tend to replace your whole knife kit; by the time you take out the case and open it you can make your cuts' pick up your cut product, and move on. I will frequently bring out my Wusthofs just on principle, not because I really need them.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Still the best thread ever.

I can't believe igts been 7 years! Great post then and still is. Thanks Andy
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

just got a togiharu cleaver from JMac this week. it came in excellent condition, 5 minutes on a cheap combo (1k/4k) stone and its just melting through food. i think it's white #2, but i can't be sure, the make seems identical to the yoshihiro (for that matter, it looks like the togiharu damascus knives and the yoshihiros are identical as well). this is my new favorite knife. coming in at a little under 400g it still feels nimble and i prepared an entire dinner with it for 6 people. shaved sunchokes and fennel, citrus segments, this thing is really versatile, highly recommended. makes me wonder about all my other knives that cost three times as much!
    i just couldn't get down with those hideous looking handles on the CCKs...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    just got a togiharu cleaver from JMac this week. it came in excellent condition, 5 minutes on a cheap combo (1k/4k) stone and its just melting through food. i think it's white #2, but i can't be sure, the make seems identical to the yoshihiro (for that matter, it looks like the togiharu damascus knives and the yoshihiros are identical as well). this is my new favorite knife. coming in at a little under 400g it still feels nimble and i prepared an entire dinner with it for 6 people. shaved sunchokes and fennel, citrus segments, this thing is really versatile, highly recommended. makes me wonder about all my other knives that cost three times as much!
    i just couldn't get down with those hideous looking handles on the CCKs...
    CCk's won't win any beauty contests, but that's what makes em great- you can beat the living $#!+ out of em and they ask for more.

The handles really aren't that bad. Ugly- yes, but functional, especially if you extend your index and middle finger out across the flat of the blade when cutting. My biggest gripe with them(besides the ugly patina, and discoloration of some foods) is how thin the spine is, really screwed up my knife callus the first couple days I used one.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Funny to stumble upon this thread just now. I purchased a cheap cleaver from a 99 Ranch Market maybe eight years ago. Never felt comfortable with it at home - intimidated by the size, and the thickness of the blade meant that most large items I tried to cut would actually end of cracking instead of cutting. But I've been developing my knife sharpening skills, and so I really went to work on the blade, grinding down the angle to get a nice sharp point.

A couple weeks ago, I began taking the cleaver to work with me. I work at a Japanese restaurant and will cut between two and four quarts of green onion tops on a daily basis, and cut up a lot of daikon radish. As much as I love my Wusthof nakiri, the sheer volume of cutting began to run down the edge. Not so much an issue with the cleaver. I've touched it up on a 4000 grit stone a week ago, and gave it a couple passes on a ceramic honer, and the thing will still easily go through two bunches of green onions at a time. Such a time saver. Plus, my nakiri is still super sharp a few weeks later cause it's not doing all the heavy lifting.

Just thought add myself to the ranks of the cleaver lovers club. I'm keeping an eye out for another $25 cleaver to leave at the house.

Great thread--I'm glad it's still alive!

interesting thread. just went thru it all while eating my lunch.

i'm chinese and i dont have a cleaver. at least not a chinese styled one. big rectangle shaped things..i just gave away a Henckel version to a co-worker. i just never used it. i do however use a smaller cleaver which i think is from Japan. it is heavier, thicker..so it tends to split things like Daikon. but it will blast thru a coconut..or any squash. for me the main advantage it the ability to scoop up chopped ingredients. the biggest win. my parents have them scatter throughout the house. my stepdad, was a chef. he used them primarily.

hmmmm..i also dont own a Wok.