Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 15
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Assuming you get a fairly thin-beveled cleaver and keep it sharp, you shouldn't have any problems using a cleaver on the products you mentioned. With all that steel to work with, it's easy to assume that the cleaver works as a full bore chopping machine. But the truth is, they are capable of a lot of finesse.

thank you for the advices.

but I have to find a "cleaver knife + sharper stone" not too much expensive in Europe. what could I buy?

Anyone have experience with the F.Dick "Red Spirit" Chinese style cleavers? One light slicer and one slightly heavier chopper. From some company called "Mad Cow" that I don't know anything about.

I have an old stainless Chinese cleaver with a metal handle that I bought in Chinatown in San Francisco in 1977 with my carbon steel woks. It holds a great edge and I can make the thinnest slices on a tomato with this cleaver. The blade is 9 inch by 4 inch and weighs 16.5 oz. I can do almost anything with this cleaver when it comes to slicing,chopping and mincing.

Cleavers get sharper than any of my knives I don't know why?

Would anyone care to take a guess at the quality of this knife:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cutti...197295200.html

I've been using a smaller (8 cm wide) #4 cleaver for a while, and stumbling upon this thread made me want to get a bigger one

I don't know the brand but it looks like a lot of the lower end cleavers in China. The one piece all metal knives are not as common as the various wood handle models but you do see a fair number of them in the markets. I was recently in a Wal-Mart type business in Chengdu looking at their cutlery election. It was kind of like looking at the display here only ever model was a cleaver. Flashy stainless steel blades and fancy synthetic handles of various materials. Prices were mostly in the $10-$15 U.S. range which is high in that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Donatzsky View Post
    Would anyone care to take a guess at the quality of this knife:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cutti...197295200.html

I've been using a smaller (8 cm wide) #4 cleaver for a while, and stumbling upon this thread made me want to get a bigger one

Thats my cleaver from the 70's lol

Oops, I found my way back here it seems. And I have been converted to the church of Cleaver. The chinese one that Josh (brainsausage) sent me ages ago has been lovingly used and sharpened. I use it for everything except for bread (although it can do that as well). Onions making people cry doesn't make any sense to me anymore. It feels like everyone has been lying to me. I can't believe my cooking class teacher advised us to use a cheese slicer for making thin cuts of cucumber! She also had other bits of wisdom like serrated blades being essential for cutting tomatoes. Or "you need a small knife in order to make precise cuts". Lies. Lies, all of them! My cleaver is more handsome than your tiny serrated knife.

But my question is this: Is a cleaver good for preparing fish? I know how to filet a fish, but that is using a "normal" western fillet knife. I haven't yet put the cleaver to the test, but now that summer is coming and the amount and selection of fish increases, I have the perfect chance to try it out. I am kind of in a way maybe planning to buy a knife entirely for fish... but don't mention that to the cleaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by luko View Post
    thank you for the advices.

but I have to find a "cleaver knife + sharper stone" not too much expensive in Europe. what could I buy?
    I can't help you with the cleaver, but I ordered my 1000/6000 whetstone from here: http://www.fine-tools.com/kombischleifstein.html Fast shipping and friendly service, no complaints. The prices have risen a little since I placed my order, but I don't think they are too steep.

Quote Originally Posted by birdeye View Post
    Oops, I found my way back here it seems. And I have been converted to the church of Cleaver. The chinese one that Josh (brainsausage) sent me ages ago has been lovingly used and sharpened. I use it for everything except for bread (although it can do that as well). Onions making people cry doesn't make any sense to me anymore. It feels like everyone has been lying to me. I can't believe my cooking class teacher advised us to use a cheese slicer for making thin cuts of cucumber! She also had other bits of wisdom like serrated blades being essential for cutting tomatoes. Or "you need a small knife in order to make precise cuts". Lies. Lies, all of them! My cleaver is more handsome than your tiny serrated knife.

But my question is this: Is a cleaver good for preparing fish? I know how to filet a fish, but that is using a "normal" western fillet knife. I haven't yet put the cleaver to the test, but now that summer is coming and the amount and selection of fish increases, I have the perfect chance to try it out. I am kind of in a way maybe planning to buy a knife entirely for fish... but don't mention that to the cleaver.

I can't help you with the cleaver, but I ordered my 1000/6000 whetstone from here: http://www.fine-tools.com/kombischleifstein.html Fast shipping and friendly service, no complaints. The prices have risen a little since I placed my order, but I don't think they are too steep.
    Woah, I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering how you'd got along with the old girl. Glad it worked out for you
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky