Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

I think I just heard my old Dexter whimper a little... LOL
    I've wanted to upgrade that to a Sugimoto for the longest but every time I decide to spend more it goes on something different. I used to buy lots of Dexters around ten bucks apiece and pass them out to my cooks. I've had a cleaver in my kit for years.

Dave

I encourage posting of more cool cleaver vids

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    I think I just heard my old Dexter whimper a little... LOL
    I've wanted to upgrade that to a Sugimoto for the longest but every time I decide to spend more it goes on something different. I used to buy lots of Dexters around ten bucks apiece and pass them out to my cooks. I've had a cleaver in my kit for years.

Dave
    I actually started with a dexter cleaver and a disposable paring knife as my only knives for well over 30 years. Still have that dexter too though Dave turned it into what I would describe as a duck knife or a Nakiri on steroids.
    --
    Joe

I was first introduced to Chukabochos with a Dexter cleaver in 1980 by a CIA instructor named Joe Amendola. It was all-carbon, cost $25.00, and gave me pause regarding my high-end set of Chro-Mo-Vanadium Wusthofs. I have been using a cleaver as a line knife ever since! While I am elated with my Saji Damascus claver that i just bought, I cannot say with a straight face that it works 14 times better than a Dexter I could get for $50.00 on Ebay. It does have a more durable scary-sharp edge than anything I have ever used; I suspect this is an effect of the hand-forging and heat treating but that is only conjecture. I believe the superior design viv-a'-vis the long, gradual taper on the tall blade pecipitates superior performance with average steel and outstanding with high-end versions. You constantly hear about someone using a cleaver and then using it to the exclusion of their other knives; this should tell you someting about this type of knife. (See below!)

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I actually started with a dexter cleaver and a disposable paring knife as my only knives for well over 30 years. Still have that dexter too though Dave turned it into what I would describe as a duck knife or a Nakiri on steroids.
    Joe is there any chance you could post a photo of that? It sounds awesome!

Dave

I'm glad you have fully embraced the dark side. I have a Tadatsuna, the carbon version and love it. I know we've discussed your stainless Tadatsuna before. I'd like to hear more about it though. I can't remember, have you posted pics of it before? What are you waiting for???
    Here are some pics of the Tadatsuna INOX. It took me a while . Sorry for the quality though. I took some other photos that I´m uploading as well.

Regards

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nainox001.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...nainox002.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...atsuna003.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...inoxspine.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/cleavers.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...stainless.jpg/

I guess I've got a closet cheap cleaver fetish.

[IMG][/IMG]

Top is my newest addition F/ Pacific Ocean Marketplace
    CCK 1301 f/ Mark
    Cheap bone bone chopper f/ POM
    Cheap Little Cook cleaver f/ POM
    Henkles bone chopper I've had from my Mom for years and years...
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

My latest aquisition f/ Pacific Ocean Marketplace in Broomfield, CO - stain free high carbon cleaver for $17.99. This was a new shipment they got in, and surprisingly some of the better cleavers I've seen there. They also had a couple of other versions w/ different wood handles and different steels, but the steel was not described. They were $18.99 & $19.99. I got this one because of the stain free high carbon marking on the blade. Who knows what it is???

Surprisingly good cleaver. I really like the size in it's proportion of length to height. I like the size and proportion better than the 1301. This one was one of the straighter ones I found. The other models seemed to be staighter from the handle to the blade and better fit of the bolster. All in all, I've seen much worse on knives more expensive. There isn't much of an edge to speak of - there's a small edge bevel that's probably about 30d per side, Still it was sharp enough to cut a couple of arm hairs and chop some onions, garlic, peppers for a quick veggie stir fry.

Quite a bit of curve to the edge, with no flat areas. No taper at all. When I first looked at it, I thought it had just a flat grind f/ spine to edge. But surprisingly again, there's a large bevel ground into the face about 1/2 down from the spine to edge. The secopndary bevel on each side isn't symetrical though. I plan on thinning it trying to match the existing bevels but equalling them out on each side, and put a new primary bevel on it, and maybe flatten the edge geometry a bit. Practice project knife! mpp

(not sure why but some of the photos came in f/ photobucket rotated)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

For the last 2-3 months, I don't know what a gyuto is anymore. I have been using my Suien VC cleaver and Moritaka double bevel kiritsuke for most of what I use a gyuto for. The Suien is used for heavy duty veggie chopping and cutting of meats, even chopping up chicken/bones and the like. The Kiritsuke is used for more fine controlled push cutting. Mainly, I have been using the cleaver because most of my cooking has been Asian styled. I really like it. Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of carbon, and especially AS blue. Man, the sharpness of this steel lasts a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    For the last 2-3 months, I don't know what a gyuto is anymore. I have been using my Suien VC cleaver and Moritaka double bevel kiritsuke for most of what I use a gyuto for. The Suien is used for heavy duty veggie chopping and cutting of meats, even chopping up chicken/bones and the like. The Kiritsuke is used for more fine controlled push cutting. Mainly, I have been using the cleaver because most of my cooking has been Asian styled. I really like it. Also, I am quickly becoming a fan of carbon, and especially AS blue. Man, the sharpness of this steel lasts a long time.
    I also got the Suien cleaver a few months ago and have been loving it. It has not been babied and takes a pretty good patina. Overall I think my general knife skills have increased as a result of using a cleaver.

Here is a pic of mine, of course it had to get some new shoes.

+ Reply to Thread