Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 6
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow I need to get down to Bloomfield.

Yeah, it's a great store (btw, it's Broomfield, CO). One of the biggest and better asian grocery stores in CO. There's one in Denver too, off of Federal Street, but I think this one is better. I would have liked to have snagged one of each of cleavers just to compare, but as cheap as they were, I gotta draw the line somewhere these days...
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I ment Broomfield, not sure why I said bloomfield. From what I read about that store it is the best one in the area.

I hope this is the right thread to post in. I'm looking to get myself a chinese cleaver and would like to go out and see how the knife feels in my hand before buying, as I've never had one before. My problem is that there are not that many manufacturers with a chinese cleaver model that are available in my country (Finland). A Japanese import store in Helsinki carries MAC, and I have heard people buying Victorinox so I assume some stores are carrying it as well. (If you happen to know of others, by all means let me know) I have understood these two are not the best possible options out there... but they seem to be the only ones. Or would it work if I tried either of these to get a feel for the type and then proceeded to order a cleaver online? I am a complete noob though, so I don't know the differences between different makers' knives. Do you have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by birdeye View Post
    I hope this is the right thread to post in. I'm looking to get myself a chinese cleaver and would like to go out and see how the knife feels in my hand before buying, as I've never had one before. My problem is that there are not that many manufacturers with a chinese cleaver model that are available in my country (Finland). A Japanese import store in Helsinki carries MAC, and I have heard people buying Victorinox so I assume some stores are carrying it as well. (If you happen to know of others, by all means let me know) I have understood these two are not the best possible options out there... but they seem to be the only ones. Or would it work if I tried either of these to get a feel for the type and then proceeded to order a cleaver online? I am a complete noob though, so I don't know the differences between different makers' knives. Do you have any advice?
    Boy, thats a tough one. Many here never have the opportunity to try, or see it before we buy and often buy based off reccomendations here. I am going to go out on a limb and say there is no China town in Finland. I guess i would buy a cheap CCK to get a feel for it, then base future purchases of what you like and dislike about it.

Victorinox does have a chinese cleaver, but i have never seen a MAC cleaver.

Yep no Chinatown, only small import stores in some cities and those usually have foodstuffs only.

I found the MAC cleaver from a PDF info sheet (in Finnish) that was on the import store's site. It's number 120, labeled as "chinese cleaving knife": http://www.tokyokan.fi/mac_veitsiesite_netti.pdf
    It has been there for a while though, I don't know how up-to date the information is.

I have been looking at the CCK cleavers, but they seem to be always out of stock. The only place I know of is chef knives to go, are there other suppliers that ship to Europe? Better yet would be a supplier within EU, but I have a feeling that's more wishful thinking than a reality.

Is there a difference in metal quality between the CCK and the Dexter cleavers?
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

MAC is out, there is no sight of a chinese cleaver on the import store's website. Victorinox is actually attainable, I'll have to get it online but at least I can get one. CCK is possible but the shipping fees are as much as the price of the knife, plus there is a disclaimer on the site that if the knife gets damaged in any way they cannot be held responsible.
    I tried hunting down Dexter but it's only sold in North America it seems. Their official site doesn't list any suppliers in Europe, but I may have been looking at the wrong place. Amazon.com sells it, but they won't ship internationally except for a selected few categories and knives are not among them. The European amazon sites (.uk and .de) didn't have it.

The simplest solution seems to be moving to the US. I didn't think Europe would ever seem so limited.

Is the Victorinox cleaver worth the 60€ the store is charging for it? There are also Wusthof cleavers on the internet at the same price. I haven't heard much of them though, for better or worse.

What do you think of this one? It's cheap and stainless, but what else? It says Japanese steel (日本鋼) on the blade, whatever that means. But it's cheap. :P
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medium-Chine...8898236&sr=8-7

I would just order something from Koki at www.japanesechefsknife.com, you will get something waaaay better than the Victorinox or Wusthof for not a ton more money.

There are several "less" expensive cleavers on this page http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html, while I haven't personally used those cheaper ones at the top I feel pretty confident in saying they would blow a Victorinox out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy777 View Post
    I would just order something from Koki at www.japanesechefsknife.com
    +1

I have bought stuff from him a couple of times from Europe (Spain) and I can´t recommend him enough. It´s always been superfast, with extremely cheap shipping fees and with no extra charges at customs. Really easy. Koki´s also always been very kind and helpful.