Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Great thread--I'm glad it's still alive!
    +1!!!!!!!!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

out of curiousity, has anybody here picked up the new wa gesshin ginga cleaver???

Probably not, for me. Handle looks a bit too short and too stubby for my liking. Rivet handle version looks much better.

After reading through this thread I was inspired to give a cleaver a shot. Went to the CCK shop in Pacific mall just north of Toronto and picked up a 1303. Mt current favorite knife for veg prep is a beater usuba. I'm still trying to get used to the control of the blade due to the height of the blade, but I think with time and practice I will grow to enjoy using it.

For the last 3 weeks I've been using a Dexter that I've thinned. Found on ebay for $9 new. I've really come to enjoy using it and am probably going to pick up the suien vc next.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Probably not, for me. Handle looks a bit too short and too stubby for my liking. Rivet handle version looks much better.

the reason i ask is because i used to own the riveted/western handle version. it was a little heavy for me. maybe 470ish grams. im guessing the wa is much lighter.

Looks fugly, but I reckon Ashi might be on to something. I reckon a d handle would probably be more comfortable on a cleaver but the dimensions look nice, much better than Moritakas and Takedas IMO. I'll fly the flag for barrel style handles on cleavers though. Absolutely smitten with the Sugimoto #7 I recently added to my kit, it's heavy but feels perfect in hand....the fat spine helps with that too though.

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    Absolutely smitten with the Sugimoto #7 I recently added to my kit, it's heavy but feels perfect in hand....the fat spine helps with that too though.
    Congrats on your new cleaver! You already have 2 Sugimotos if I´m not wrong and It seems you are very happy about them (I know i will have to get one myself at the end, sigh). Pics or further comments about this new purchase would be utterly appreciated

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by malacara View Post
    Congrats on your new cleaver! You already have 2 Sugimotos if I´m not wrong and It seems you are very happy about them (I know i will have to get one myself at the end, sigh). Pics or further comments about this new purchase would be utterly appreciated

Regards
    Cheers, Indeed I have a #6 too, though it's getting pretty old now (by my standards) and really needs some heavy thinning to bring it back to what it was. I don't have the time or patience to put it to the stones and I probably don't have the skills to use a power tool (or the space really).

I can't really remember what the #6 was like out of the box, but it seems like the F+F on the #7 is a little better, perhaps Sugimoto are upping their game a bit; engraving is neater, spine and choil are nicely rounded. Cladding and steel seems to be very reactive on Sugimoto cleavers and they take an ugly patina, had a touch more belly than I recall the #6 as having too.

Steel and geometry is amazing though. I've heard they use white 2 and if so they should get props for their HT cause I reckon it's better than any white 2 I've used. Sharpens incredibly easy, gets piss-take sharp and the retention is surprisingly good. For comparison's sake, I think it ***** all over the Konosuke Fujiyama #6 in all those aspects, and the Konosuke is certainly no slouch.

I'll try to get some pics that work with some other cleavers for comparison and post a review later.

Ta,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JKerr View Post
    Cheers, Indeed I have a #6 too, though it's getting pretty old now (by my standards) and really needs some heavy thinning to bring it back to what it was. I don't have the time or patience to put it to the stones and I probably don't have the skills to use a power tool (or the space really).

I can't really remember what the #6 was like out of the box, but it seems like the F+F on the #7 is a little better, perhaps Sugimoto are upping their game a bit; engraving is neater, spine and choil are nicely rounded. Cladding and steel seems to be very reactive on Sugimoto cleavers and they take an ugly patina, had a touch more belly than I recall the #6 as having too.

Steel and geometry is amazing though. I've heard they use white 2 and if so they should get props for their HT cause I reckon it's better than any white 2 I've used. Sharpens incredibly easy, gets piss-take sharp and the retention is surprisingly good. For comparison's sake, I think it ***** all over the Konosuke Fujiyama #6 in all those aspects, and the Konosuke is certainly no slouch.

I'll try to get some pics that work with some other cleavers for comparison and post a review later.

Ta,
    Josh

Thank you very much!! really interesting info. I have been long thinking about getting a Sugimoto #6 and/or 7 someday and I really appreciate all this valuable information.

Again, thanks.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread