Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

yes, I also like Chinese cleavers!!
    keep going..

I just ordered the CCK because of this thread.

Looking for professional feedback about Zhen Chinese Cleavers

I would love to hear Andy's assessment of Zhen knives -- in particular, their Chinese Cleavers, especially the Damascus.

About 15 months ago I purchased the Zhen Damascus slicer. I'm pretty happy with it, but I have never owned one of the premium Japanese-made Chinese cleavers, so I don't have a good basis to compare. My own view is: (1) I really like the ergonomics, including the balance and shape of the handle, which is unusual; (2) I think it's a good value -- about $130; but (3) I don't think the metallurgy is up to first-rate Japanese standards; (4) it's very light for its size -- perhaps a bit too light -- to the point where I feel it may be fragile.

I reviewed the knife on Amazon, in 2012, after I bought it: http://www.amazon.com/ZHEN-Japanese-.../dp/B00E0EF9CQ

I was walking by a kitchen outfit shop not too far from my place to see what kind of cheap knives they had. There was some normal expected junk, and I didn't come across any CCKs or the like, but I did find a few Chinese knives that were better than expected. One, a 永利 (Yong Li) branded one caught my eye with "V特" (http://www.e-tokko.com/vspe_1_2.htm) blade sandwiched in stainless cladding. No idea how the heat treat is, but it's not a super alloy and should be relatively simple to harden/temper like Hitachi blue series. Still, I don't randomly buy knives because they're made of interesting steel. Of all the knives at the shop, this one was the best in terms of grind geometry. It's not a big cleaver; I opted for the smallest they had, which has a length of just over 20cm. Still, the spine at the tip is a bit over 1mm, and it seems to have a pretty fine edge...much finer than my Maestro Wu cleaver. No idea how it compares to CCK or Sugimoto or any other, but I was pretty impressed for the price (US$23). Only problem seems to be that there's more belly than I'm used to.

Didn't have time for good pics, but hope these can convey how it looks:

That cleaver looks pretty darn good, and for the price, it looks fantastic.
    I don't think that the belly looks bad, but for the price you can afford to experiment with shaping it and not worry too much.

I'm sure people would be interested to hear your thoughts on it after some use and experimentation.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

that looks pretty nice!

$23 for stainless-clad V2 and what looks like a nice grind?. That's an incredible bargain.

Nice looking Cleaver XooMG.Never had much luck wt. stainless chinese cleavers,stuck to carbons.It would be good to find a nice stainless.I buy all my cleavers in chinatown here,large selection.I think I will check to see if they carry the Yong Li clad blade.

For some things it is a advantage to live in Taiwan

cleaver for dummies

Hi, I'm a pizza maker, I'm so busy in the prep, and my old ZWILLING satoku Motion needs to be sharped each time who I chop vegetables with a hard skin. I'm looking for a new knife and a new steel\stone sharpener. I could buy a victorinox fibrox 8 inches for less than 30 ponds (now I'm working in UK) but I like too the cleaver knife.

1st dilemma) I don't know is a cleaver knife is better than a classic european cook knife about these 3 topics:
    1a) slow chopping of high stuff with very hard skin; for example, if with a cleaver I chop aubergines (who maybe there are high more than 5 cm) could the weight be a problem?
    1b) fast chopping of high stuff; for example, if with a cleaver I chop mushrooms in a fast way, isn't it like hit a hummer on the chopping board?
    1c) cut long stuff, like the cylinders of fiordilatte (a kind of mozzarella with less liquid) who are long 20cm

2nd dilemma)
    I live in Europe, and I can spend less than 70 pounds for cleaver knife + sharper stone. what could I buy?

thank you, and I'm sorry if there are any mistake, my English is not perfect

i think jck has some options that may be in you price range.http://japanesechefsknife.com
    im not quite sure what youre trying to say exactly, but i find cleavers to be good all around prep knives and can handle veg prep of all sizes and shapes. there is an adjustment period going from using a chef knife to cleaver but i wouldnt worry too much about it.