Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Assuming you get a fairly thin-beveled cleaver and keep it sharp, you shouldn't have any problems using a cleaver on the products you mentioned. With all that steel to work with, it's easy to assume that the cleaver works as a full bore chopping machine. But the truth is, they are capable of a lot of finesse.

thank you for the advices.

but I have to find a "cleaver knife + sharper stone" not too much expensive in Europe. what could I buy?

Anyone have experience with the F.Dick "Red Spirit" Chinese style cleavers? One light slicer and one slightly heavier chopper. From some company called "Mad Cow" that I don't know anything about.

I have an old stainless Chinese cleaver with a metal handle that I bought in Chinatown in San Francisco in 1977 with my carbon steel woks. It holds a great edge and I can make the thinnest slices on a tomato with this cleaver. The blade is 9 inch by 4 inch and weighs 16.5 oz. I can do almost anything with this cleaver when it comes to slicing,chopping and mincing.

Cleavers get sharper than any of my knives I don't know why?

Would anyone care to take a guess at the quality of this knife:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cutti...197295200.html

I've been using a smaller (8 cm wide) #4 cleaver for a while, and stumbling upon this thread made me want to get a bigger one

I don't know the brand but it looks like a lot of the lower end cleavers in China. The one piece all metal knives are not as common as the various wood handle models but you do see a fair number of them in the markets. I was recently in a Wal-Mart type business in Chengdu looking at their cutlery election. It was kind of like looking at the display here only ever model was a cleaver. Flashy stainless steel blades and fancy synthetic handles of various materials. Prices were mostly in the $10-$15 U.S. range which is high in that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Donatzsky View Post
    Would anyone care to take a guess at the quality of this knife:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cutti...197295200.html

I've been using a smaller (8 cm wide) #4 cleaver for a while, and stumbling upon this thread made me want to get a bigger one

Thats my cleaver from the 70's lol

+ Reply to Thread