Quantcast
Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Discourse on why I love Chinese Cleavers re-post

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's kind of a trip to read these a bunch of years later I have to say. They could probably use a little updating but oh well.

Suien VC was one of my earlier j-knives a few years ago after reading through this and your cleaver rating posts.

Just a shame that I could never get into them like I wanted to...even tried the Kagayaki later on for the same length but with a shorter blade height, but I just seem to like a gyuto or suji much better--I'm sorry to disappoint both Andy and JoeC
    I'll forgive you, it may take a while but I'll get there.

Thanks for the articles Andy. I found them few years ago and it was extremely useful.

I started cooking ten or more years ago and by that time I became interested in good cooking knives too. I firstly got myself a nice chef´s knife, then a Henckels and after that a Shun. Few years later I started watching Martin Yan cooking programs and I wanted to try a chinese cleaver, and when I did... bloody hell, after a few days using it I got hooked. I started reading kitchen knife forums just to know more about cleavers and it is then when I knew of Andy777 and his valuable posts. I have ended giving away all my chef knives and buying cleavers. Nowadays I have a bunch of cleavers and two pettys, and that´s it. And I can´t be happier.
    I'm glad you have fully embraced the dark side. I have a Tadatsuna, the carbon version and love it. I know we've discussed your stainless Tadatsuna before. I'd like to hear more about it though. I can't remember, have you posted pics of it before? What are you waiting for???

As far as other stainless ones go, other than those mentioned there are quite a few here:

Ichimonji

Sakai Takayuki

I'm pretty sure someone on here has ordered from ichimonji before.

Thanks for posting this again Andy

No thread about cleavers is complete without a clip of Martin Yan.

Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Anyone know where to find one of his cleavers?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post

Currently
    Ebay starting bid at $50.99 Martin Yan's Signature Knife.Autographed.Package Never Opened!

That is a copy paste hope it helps.

I went to a cooking class with Martin Yan a couple of years ago at my Central Market. It was really great seeing him use a cleaver.

He was selling his cleaver and latest book at the class. Looked like his current cleaver that he was selling was a little odd in shape. It had a lot of curve starting midway up the blade. It also seemed a little short and had a rounded corner.

He demoed the knife for about 5 minutes then promptly went back to using a more traditionaly shaped cleaver to teach the class.

Yan Can Cook

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post

He sells them directly on his website - http://yancancook.com/store/knives01.htm - "Made with high-carbon stainless steel blade. "
    I've been considering getting one for some time just to check it out. I like the little design tweaks like the slightly flared ends. Looks to be a different knife design than the one he's using the above vid which is quite old now. Not a bad price and it's made in Germoney.

Uh-oh - I just realized I may have let the cat outta the bag, and if I wanna get one I should get one soon!

Looking at his cleaver at his on-line store more, it appears it's got more belly than an authentic chinese chef's knife. I now think that the deisgn is more marketing driven than function driven. Been quite a while since I looked at it am I'm getting spoiled around here...

I started to buy one of his cleavers several years ago, but balked at the $199.00 (Funny how 10 years will change your perspective!) It was a full size traditional shape. I will get one of these, if for no other reason than that he went to culinary school at Sullivan where I am currently pursuing a PhD. Thanks for the info! CLEAVER NATION ARISE!!!!

A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Ok so whats the story w/ nakiris? Kinda like a cleaver but not really. Anyone here have experience on the line with them?

+ Reply to Thread