Quantcast
New (to me) knife store in the hood
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New (to me) knife store in the hood

New (to me) knife store in the hood

I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.
    I bought a cut resistant glove for maybe using that mandolin!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

the carbon knives sound interesting.....nothing like a good find....ryan

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.
    heh, i went through a bunch of cut resistant gloves, until i finally found one that i couldn't easily cut through with one of my knives while still being comfortable and easy to wear. the G&F Blade X5 gloves finally did it. i still don't use my mandolin.

In my experience, slaughterhouse butchers not only wear a Kevlar cut-resistant glove, they have a chainmail glove under that (or maybe it's the other way around -- been a long time since I was in a slaughterhouse). Dangerous work, almost as dangerous as using a mandolin!
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Which shop is it? I lived in PDX for ten years before moving down here to Tejas. Always keen to keep tabs on what's happening in the old hood.

It's Hawthorne Knife and Gifts, on 32nd and Hawthorne. Prices are high on some stuff, but it is not part of a chain.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

oh, right behind the stumptown annex... I was a SW'er, but along with Miles, I like to keep tabs

Thanks for the headsup. I'm going to go check them out

Actually, the Stumptown annex is over on Belmont.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread