New (to me) knife store in the hood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpikeC

Founding Member
Reaction score
I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.
I bought a cut resistant glove:thumbsup: for maybe using that mandolin!

the carbon knives sound interesting.....nothing like a good find....ryan

I just found a knife store in my neighborhood that has a bunch of Japanese swords and a very eclectic assortment of cutlery. They aren't huge in kitchen knives butt do have some interesting stuff, both old and new. One thing that caught my eye was a used German chef's in carbon steel, 11 inches long. Next to it were some 10 inch slicers and butcher's knives of indeterminate vintage.

heh, i went through a bunch of cut resistant gloves, until i finally found one that i couldn't easily cut through with one of my knives while still being comfortable and easy to wear. the G&F Blade X5 gloves finally did it. i still don't use my mandolin. :)

In my experience, slaughterhouse butchers not only wear a Kevlar cut-resistant glove, they have a chainmail glove under that (or maybe it's the other way around -- been a long time since I was in a slaughterhouse). Dangerous work, almost as dangerous as using a mandolin!

Which shop is it? I lived in PDX for ten years before moving down here to Tejas. Always keen to keep tabs on what's happening in the old hood.

It's Hawthorne Knife and Gifts, on 32nd and Hawthorne. Prices are high on some stuff, but it is not part of a chain.

oh, right behind the stumptown annex... I was a SW'er, but along with Miles, I like to keep tabs :)

Actually, the Stumptown annex is over on Belmont.

Back