Another what to buy post!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dav

Reaction score
First post on here and another of those what to buy posts!

I'm looking to purchase either a Gyuto or Santoku willing to spend up to $500, in the UK we don't have such a great selection to choose from unless I decide to import.

I'm really after a quality knife and not so much looking for asthetics, more interested in the quality of the steel/performance etc... I used to be a carpenter and all tools were lie Neilsen/Veritas with A2 steel blades etc... also have antique warranted Sheffield steel tools etc... so not new to sharpening and the feel of a quality steel/blade.

I've contacted the Watanabe site but have as of yet had no response and am considering this Tanaka knife (although not too keen on the "decoration");

http://www.kinknives.com/tanaka-knives/tanaka-santoku-knife-170mm-47.aspx

But this knife has also caught my attention (4th knife down - handmade Santoku):

http://www.fine-tools.com/messerp.htm

But my question is although its much cheaper Dieter Schmid is a highly respected retailer over here in the UK and Europe and although these knives are from a seemingly little known maker (outside of Japan) they intrigue me. They have the functional look I like BUT my concern is around the HAP40 steel used in their manufacture. Its a Hitachi Powdered HSS and I'd never heard of it, looking at the Hitachi brochure it is indeed very hard (67 on Rockwell scale) and less prone to chipping. But few other knife manufacturers use it, either because it is not suitable or little known?

I'd very much value anyones opinions or experiences with any of the above but particularly the HAP40 Gihei Knife.

Look on Japanesechefsknife.com I think they ship worldwide cheaply.

If you're in the UK, Will Catcheside is making so great knives. He's a before here so you can see his work. His subforum is Catcheside Cutlery.

Well JCK has the Tanaka but it is sold out, and it only costs $440 so about £277, a bit of a difference in price. To be honest I'd stay away from UK knife shops, they are a total ripoff. JCK ships to the UK for $7 with no import fees or anything so I'd have a look there and see what you fancy.

I like the Tanaka. Pierre Rodrigue could make a custom for close to your $500. I bought a misono ux10 santoku from Korin for half your quoted price. I doubt I would ever want for a better santoku. After the price increase they don't get that much love in the forums on their gyutos and sujihikis, but currently the santoku is $231. I am very happy with mine. Good fit and finish and very sharp.

With a budget like that, I second Pesky's suggestion to look up Will Catchside and see what he can offer you.

Rick

I guess I'm the third to jump on. With that budget you can get Will to make you something special.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and help.

I've re-looked at the JCK site (I did consider them) and indeed shipping is very resonable and there is a decent selection, looking around they have a good reputation so this is certainly an option.

I've also looked at Will Catchesides site over here in the UK and although I love the thought of Japanese knives/forging supporting a "local" Brit is very very appealing so I may just enquire as to a commission.

I'm a bit of a "collector" when it comes to hand tools and axes etc... so am getting the feeling that this could become a dangerous "hobby", I've told the wife that it will mean I'll be doing more cooking/fancy meals :whistling:

Go for a Carter. I don't know what length you want, but this is a pretty good knife:
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japane...-grade-gyuto-ho-woodwater-buffalo-horn-handle

All here know my opinion about carter :)

That Carter will be $650 by the time he gets his hands on it in the UK.

As has been mentioned many times, JCK is a great source for UK-based posters.

I would also get a Catcheside for the kind of money you are looking at.

If you want a santoku the Mizuno hontanren blue steel (monosteel, unlike the gyuto which is clad) is $166 from JCK. The white steel version is $128!. Not much talk about these blades (probably because they are santokus) but if they are anything like the gyutos (which are very highly regarded indeed) in terms of cutting/geometry etc. then they look like a bit of a steal. I'm fairly sure Mizuno aren't shipping out junk.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/HontanrenSeries.html

As for a knife at RC67 being less prone to chipping I don't believe that for a second. The RC66 Cermax knives had a reputation for being very brittle.

Way too hard for a gyuto/all purpose knife imo.

If you want a santoku the Mizuno hontanren blue steel (monosteel, unlike the gyuto which is clad) is $166 from JCK. The white steel version is $128!. Not much talk about these blades (probably because they are santokus) but if they are anything like the gyutos (which are very highly regarded indeed) in terms of cutting/geometry etc. then they look like a bit of a steal. I'm fairly sure Mizuno aren't shipping out junk.

Read this thread about the Mizuno santoku.

Figured it was oem. Still looks like a nice knife at that price, with limited customization options.

I fifth...sixth the other member's consideration of a Catchside. Will is putting out some pretty cool knives. He is on my short list for a custom.

I fifth...sixth the other member's consideration of a Catchside. Will is putting out some pretty cool knives. He is on my short list for a custom.
7th really amazing work and on that side of the pond can't go wrong.

Welcome to the Kut House!
I had the opportunity to try out one of Will C's early knives in a passaround. It had a few things that needed sorting, which he seems to have nicely addressed. If I were in your position he would be on the top of my list.
There are a lot of good choices out there, though!

If you want awesome steel and you have $500 to burn on a santoku-sized knife, I don't think you can beat a knife from Devin Thomas. In my experience, they have been superior cutters. Go with a custom knife and talk to him about the steel characteristics you value most. I am not easily impressed, either.

Well I'm a little impetuous by nature and have placed an order for the following knives (wouldn't let me place a link):

Moritaka Supreme Damascus 210mm Gyuto and a Moritaka Supreme Series Petite (130mm).

Had my heart set on a Japanese knife (I have Japanese plane blades and chisels), not really into the form more function, but the Damascus Gyuto caught my attention and the Petty was an afterthought but gives me an idea of what a traditional knife will feel and act like.

I will be purchasing more knives over the coming months and years (my hand tool collection is rather extensive) so will most definitely want to try out what different makers have to offer.

Sounds a bit strange I guess as fundamentally a kitchen knife is for cooking/preparing, but I love to religiously sharpen my hand saws, chisels and plane blades and oil them and then just admire them so am looking forward to learning "the ropes" with decent knives.

Having trained and been a Carpenter I also love the tactile feel of great "tools" anyway thank you all for your help and suggestions, I've looked at all the makers you've covered and over time will most probably try out their products. I'll be sticking around as well not posting much but looking to pick up good advice and information.

So when you sharpen do you do Christian, Muslim, Jewish or other? I do Buddhist myself..........

Welcome to the Kut House!
I had the opportunity to try out one of Will C's early knives in a passaround. It had a few things that needed sorting, which he seems to have nicely addressed. If I were in your position he would be on the top of my list.
There are a lot of good choices out there, though!

+ 1 on Catcheside
He's at the top of my list for another knife and I'm in the US. I have one of his first Suji's and it's an impressive knife, period. When considering that he was still figuring out some stuff like profile and grind, it's really astonishing. You will get a world-class custom from him at an absurdly low price, and to top it off, he's a great guy to deal with.

Knives arrived today and tbh after reading about the potential quality problems with some Moritaka's I wasn't sure what to expect. Knives came from Chefs Knives to Go, and both after inspection were/are perfect. F&F is excellent with no issues, and no problems what so ever with the grinding/bevel which are pretty much spot on no hollows etc... so all in all very happy. From the box they are both reasonably sharp but I'll be improving on that tomorrow working from a 1200grit through to 8000 grit stone.

Thanks I will I have nothing to compare them against but they look and feel great, my first foray into decent knives. I'm already thinking about what my next purchase/s will be lol.

Back