Quantcast
Glestain and cucumber.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glestain and cucumber.

Glestain and cucumber.

There has been a bit of discussion about food release lately and i've posted pictures of what an onion looks like after dicing it with my glestain, so I took a picture of what cucumbers look like after being cut for salads. This knife, for me, truely works as intended and I will stand by it. Still not a fan of the steel that It's made of though.

What are your problems with the steel? Just how it retains a sharp edge? Using this in a pro-kitchen setting, how often do you feel you have to take it to the stones?

Engorged Member
    I know TK59 loves his too, but having worked in a pro kitchen, the life of this knife is very short (+/- 10 sharpenings)

Edge holding isn't that great. It feels "dead" on the stones. Definitely no harder than the steel in my German blades. And from what I've read it's basically glestain's version of 440c stainless. Nothing too impressive.

It has to be touched up fairly often. After a day of heavy use it will need a toutch up.

What happens when the edge reaches the first row of divots? It becomes a scalloped edge? Time for a new blade? Or can you put a 90/10 edge on it and thin behind the edge so that the high spots between divots are ground flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    What happens when the edge reaches the first row of divots?
    you throw the knife away.

Engorged Member
    Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    you throw the knife away.

Why would you throw the knife away? The ridges between the cullens are hollow, are they? Looks like they're plenty of steel in the cullens to support an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    Why would you throw the knife away? The ridges between the cullens are hollow, are they? Looks like they're plenty of steel in the cullens to support an edge.
    the problem is differential torque: you'll break off bits of the edge that wouldn't break off if the whole thing were the same thickness as the thinnest bits. it is exacerbated by how crap the steel is (boy did i rage when America's Test Kitchen rated these the best, over the summer). not to mention how horrible that would feel sharpening, if the cullens were at the edge.

+ Reply to Thread