Quantcast
Glestain and cucumber. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glestain and cucumber.

Then it becomes a bread knife!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I pretty much relegated my Glestain to benchwarmer status for a long time. It had handle issues, it didn't perform like carbon, wasn't fun to sharpen. Since its overhaul by Dave, it gets a slot in the starting lineup. It still has some deficiencies that can never be rectified, but....it doesn't rust like 90% of the rest of the kit. That alone is enough to make it endearing.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I don't understand what the problem with the cullens is, after you reach them you just keep on sharpening and use it like any other knife. I don't think the differential torque would cause trouble though I could be wrong. I sharpened TK's glestain once and according to him a couple of months ago that was the longest lasting edge he has ever seen or something like it (don't want to toot my own whistle) anyway all I am saying is I think people dislike them for other reason's or the same reason's stated. The only thing is I don't think its a bad knife and I think its probably one of the best work horses around, kinda like a joker works well in every hand dealt.

+1. In the situations when I have to grab one knife to perform a multitude Of tasks this is usually the one I grab. Even with its deficiencies it can take a fair beating and keep going

The Glestain is easily a top flight performer for 90% of cutting jobs. Extreme sharpness and edge retention sans touch-up are grossly overrated and in terms of toughness, it is not easy to beat. Can it Salty-chop tomatoes all day? No. The Glestain hold a decent edge plenty long and can do things that exactly ZERO high-end knives that people on this forum rave about and it does them with ease. Furthermore, it's a $200 knife. Price to performance ratio is excellent on this knife. The handle is nice, comfortable and large, too. Saying this knife has a ten sharpening lifetime is foolish and baseless. I've already sharpened mine at least a couple of dozen times and it has plenty of life left. I would wager that there is plenty of steel in the cullen area to continue sharpening in there as long as you are willing to thin the knife, as you should, anyway. It has a convex front side so I put a 95-5-ish edge on mine and I blend the large bevel into the cullen area.

Drawbacks are handle-heavy balance due to the large steel butt-cap, some steering and it doesn't hold super refined edges very long. It sharpenes fairly easily, as far as your typical stainless goes, not like AEB-L but better than some VG-10, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    I don't think the differential torque would cause trouble though I could be wrong.
    i've seen it happen on other knives with dimples.

Surely there has to be someone out there who has had one for a long time and has sharpened into the cullen area...anyone heard of this before?

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Ive been considering this knife for some time. Thanks for the post- looking forward to more discussion about it.

Do the cullens overlap? Or are they only on one side of the blade?

If you thin the knife down as TK said, and there is enough meat underneath them, they should never be a problem.

This is like myth busters. I had always heard that the Cullen knives wouldn't last long because you would sharpen into them. This is all over the web. Great info.