Quantcast
Glestain and cucumber. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glestain and cucumber.

The cullens are only on one side of the knife. I would think that you could either thin it out to where it would be sharpenable/ user friendly or just grind it away and thin to just above the first row of cullens and have a short suji. That being said I've had this knife and been using it quite a bit in a professional enviornment for two years and it's been sharpened often, dropped, knocked off cutting boards and tossed around the line during a busy service and it has held up great. Still plenty of life left in her. This steel is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    The Glestain is easily a top flight performer for 90% of cutting jobs. Extreme sharpness and edge retention sans touch-up are grossly overrated and in terms of toughness, it is not easy to beat. Can it Salty-chop tomatoes all day? No. The Glestain hold a decent edge plenty long and can do things that exactly ZERO high-end knives that people on this forum rave about and it does them with ease. Furthermore, it's a $200 knife. Price to performance ratio is excellent on this knife. The handle is nice, comfortable and large, too. Saying this knife has a ten sharpening lifetime is foolish and baseless. I've already sharpened mine at least a couple of dozen times and it has plenty of life left. I would wager that there is plenty of steel in the cullen area to continue sharpening in there as long as you are willing to thin the knife, as you should, anyway. It has a convex front side so I put a 95-5-ish edge on mine and I blend the large bevel into the cullen area.

Drawbacks are handle-heavy balance due to the large steel butt-cap, some steering and it doesn't hold super refined edges very long. It sharpenes fairly easily, as far as your typical stainless goes, not like AEB-L but better than some VG-10, for example.
    I am not sure where but I read somewhere that the metal butt in the glestains is designed to be sanded off as you sharpen to keep the balance all the time. I truly think glestains are the best Germanish, mightyish knife around and have one on my list... something like a 240 and a suji.

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    I am not sure where but I read somewhere that the metal butt in the glestains is designed to be sanded off as you sharpen to keep the balance all the time. I truly think glestains are the best Germanish, mightyish knife around and have one on my list... something like a 240 and a suji.
    You mean like this? I happened to have ground a bunch of that buttcap off last week, lol. Balance is now right at the heel. FYI, it was 272 g when I started grinding it off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070138 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	5040

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070142 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	5041
    Btw, Germanish? You mean the steel at 58 hrc? or the weight? There is really nothing about the way this knife cuts that reminds me of a Wusthof or Henckels.

looks like you took more than half of the end cap off... power tools I hope ? I'm due for a thinning and end cap grind... better get to work.

Just wanted to throw this back up as well. I can not express how awesome this knife would be if it was made out of just a bit better steel imho.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    looks like you took more than half of the end cap off... power tools I hope ? I'm due for a thinning and end cap grind... better get to work...
    Yup, this little POS grinder from HF has been a great tool for me. Probably the best $40 (plus belts) I ever spent on something knife-related.

I have to say, this thread is changing my position on this knife.