Quantcast
Durability of mixed wood handles?

Thread: Durability of mixed wood handles?

Durability of mixed wood handles?

A lot of beautiful handles out there with different woods glued/epoxied together. How do they hold up over time? Do you have any problems with splitting at the glue line if the woods move differently when exposed to water/oil/humidity?

Engorged Member
    shouldn't be an issue if they're properly stabilized.

Pesky

I have never had any issues. The epoxies now are often stronger and more durale than the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    A lot of beautiful handles out there with different woods glued/epoxied together. How do they hold up over time? Do you have any problems with splitting at the glue line if the woods move differently when exposed to water/oil/humidity?
    Even if woods are natural (unstabilized), the movement is relatively similar. However, for best durability, one should use internal pins.

However, horn and wood, moves at a different rate, and if one is using horn for end cap, a pin is a must, even if horn is glued to stabilized wood.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

From my experience building guitars, often the glue is stronger than the wood itself.

Yeah, what they all said. Another things that pieces are often set around dowels for more stability.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I've had one handle that broke at the joint but it was a reject and I was using it as a temp handle, not filled with epoxy. Other than that, I've had no problems.

Good to know! There are some really great looking handles out there--would hate to have one go to pieces just because it was used.

Thanks!