Birds beak parer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody use them, or is it waste of money?
Impossible to sharpen?

Opinons wanted :)

I have a tojiro senkou bird's beak. I don't regret it. Everything thing I have read seems to be if you hate someone send them one to sharpen it.

I buy the plastic handled five dollars victorinox ones, pretty much only ever use them to turn vegetables and replace instead of sharpen. But then, I don't own a ceramic rod which is the only way I'd try and sharpen one.

Last edited:
I buy the plastic handled five dollars victorinox ones, pretty much only ever use them to turn vegetables and replace instead of sharpen. But then, I don't own a ceramic rod which is the only way I'd try and sharpen one.

+1 I use them to hull strawberries.

i love mine, i use it to peel potatoes and carve wooden spoons. pain in the ass to sharpen, however someone here recommended a coffee can and some emery cloth, makes sense to me.

Well.. i have no problems sharpening them. But then, i am a heathen who uses a sharpmaker instead of stones..

We have a Wusthoff with a broken tip. Works really well for cutting the foil on wine bottles. No joke.

If you don't object to a convex bevel and losing your patina, the mousepad + sandpaper trick would probably work just fine to sharpen it up.

Personally I've never been clear on what function they serve.

If you don't object to a convex bevel and losing your patina, the mousepad + sandpaper trick would probably work just fine to sharpen it up.

Personally I've never been clear on what function they serve.

Tourneing potatoes for an example.

what exactly can a knife that isn't shaped like a birds beak do that other ones cant? I used to own the shun one and pretty much thought it was useless since I could do everything with the regular parer. Maybe that box with a ball inside thing? ->
[video=youtube;YGlRak6RbGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlRak6RbGA[/video]

Wow that was really cool. Puts my tournes,fluting mushrooms and my mushroom radishes to shame. I will try that.

I like that potato ball video...never seen that guy before but he is very funny and personable. I'll check out some of his other vids now.

I use it quite often.. For turning carrots n potatoes n apples...

i have a curved dmt stone i use for touch ups on knives with recurves like birds beaks doesnt give a great edge but its serviceable

Back