Quantcast
J-Nat finishing stone
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Nat finishing stone

J-Nat finishing stone

I have ordered a couple of synthetic stone from CKTG, but would like to try a natural stone for finishing. I was wondering if anyone had any advice, and what also would be the best place to order them from, as I am in Canada. I have heard it is cheaper to ship from Japan, but I have no idea where to start looking or how to tell if I am ordering the right stone. I'm making more purchases lately because I am trying to invest my time/money in my Career (Off season, low cost of living as well.) Sorry if this has or should have been posted elsewhere.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Talk to Maxim from Japanese Natural Stones. He has a vendor forum here. Also you can talk to Jon of Japanese Knife Imports, also a vendor here.

Since you are new, you might want to try a softer jnat first like lv2-lv2.5 for Maxim's rating or Takashima that Jon carries.

Jon at Japanese Knife Imports is who I will talk to for my stones. Really nice and knows his stuff. Also, I would buy the holder he sells that Dave designed.

Thanks guys, I would like to minimize shipping cost/time. Are any of there guys in Canada as to avoid international shipping?

Search Japanese waterstones Canada in google it will pull up a chowhound thread about it. Hope it helps.

Almost everything I come up with is synthetic.

Talk to Maxim. Anything i see online that are sold as JNat's are just stones, so you won't know the difference. Maxim will try them for you and tell you what you really can use.

Yup. Maxim's gotta be the expert on j-nats. I happen to have only one. The Awasedo from Jon. I have to say, I like it quite a bit, esp the smell. It's currently on loan I've been trying to be patient but I can't deny I've been missing it.

I sent him a PM but I'd like to find a retailer in Canada. It is used differently in a certain regard no? Sharpening pressure and time to final polish with naturals as opposed to grit? I would assume I would know the difference to a degree, and certainly during use. I've been looking at the Ohira Tomae on CKTG but am uncertain if it is what I'm looking for and if there is a Canadian retailer of the same kind or quality.

Individual natural stones can be very unique and nice stones are pretty expensive. At that price, I would only go with someone that had a lot of experience and an impeccable reputation such as Maxim or buy a stone I could try first, such as the Awasedo, in my case. I've seen or heard of numerous experiences where a lot of money was spent on stones that didn't do what the buyer was hoping for or expecting.

+ Reply to Thread