Quantcast
Anyone into flashlights?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into flashlights?

Anyone into flashlights?

As a kid I always had a fascination with knives and flashlights. That rabbit hole is pretty deep as well and I've managed to stay out of it. I have a handful of cheap chinese knockoff flashlights from dealextreme.com (I do love this site a lot!) and I don't know how they compare with the real expensive stuff but they are far and away the best flashlights I've ever seen or used.

These are the two I have left:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/spiderf...-1-18650-19767

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...8500-aaa-17401

One of them lights up the entire front lawn and the other throws a far and precise beam.

I don't know much about flashlights and I try to keep it that way otherwise its easy to get sucked into another expensive hobby, but at times I find myself browsing flashlights and watching youtube videos for hours.

Just had the thought to google "damascus flashlight"...

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I don't know much about flashlights and I try to keep it that way otherwise its easy to get sucked into another expensive hobby, but at times I find myself browsing flashlights and watching youtube videos for hours.
    I need more self-control in that way, anytime I just need something to perform a task I end up with a hobby more expensive and unnecessary than the last, and usually still don't have the thing I originally needed. Browsing for damascus flashlights and watching youtube videos means you probably can't turn back now; and you may have dragged me down as well, I am already thinking of justifications for a custom damascus flashlight.

Picked up this bad boy last year. By far, one of the most useful purchases I've made in a long time...

Name:  Brite Strike.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  10.3 KB

I actually am a member of candlepowerforums and those guys are as messed up as we are. That damascus flashlight I think went for $1800 . I haven't bought anything, but I love to see what crazy stuff they come up with.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I looked at flashlights and decided that terrain is too dangerous to spend too much time on. I got away with just a few smaller Fenix lights that I spread around the house and never find when I need them - small is not always good - and I decided not to look at any more sites.

Stefan

Knives and flashlight where also 2 of my early fascinations as a kid. Problem was that batteries where a precious commodity and didn't last long. Now in the age of magic power regulated LED's I can go for almost a year without changing the battery in my little EDC.

I bought a few lights, but nothing really wiz-bang extreme. I've sure looked though... Gator (of zknifes) is also into flashlights and has some really cool custom stuff on his site. Every time I start looking at flashlights, I find cooler and cooler stuff until I finally find something that I HAVE to have... then I see the price and have to turn off the monitor and go play with my other toys.

So far the best flashlight purchase that I've ever made has been my a little streamlight micro stream. It's not much bigger than the AAA batter that powers it and it's just the right brightness for most every night tasks like illuminating a walk way, finding keys, talking the dog out, without being blinding bright. The beam is actually a good combination of wide flood with enough focus in the center to get decent distance (maybe 15' to 20' fairly usable at night). product page: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=144

mine:

I think custom flashlights can be more addicting than knives. After acquiring around 30 of them I decided that the stream of new lights would never end and decided that I already had more lights than I would ever use. Some of the group have proven very useful and see daily use however.

The world's first damascus flashlight was this wonderful creation by "Mr. Bulk" called the DamCham.
    http://flashlight-forums.com/index.p...37.0;topicseen
    The flashlight is only 3-1/4" long and is quite heavy being made of steel.
    I grabbed one of the 27 made but have never used it and may sell it in the future. A great hobby collecting small LED flashlights that can absorb a lot of your time and cash.

The second damascus flashlight made came from England in the latter part of 2006, the Raw Da.
    Some good photos of it can be seen a ways down this thread (second group of photos).
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Up-List/page7

That's a useful little light that I still use along with its brothers in nickel silver, aluminum, and stainless steel. A sterling silver one was offered as well as a few other variations.

There are some really cool lights out there, do check them out. Candlepowerforums is the place to spend days looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I looked at flashlights and decided that terrain is too dangerous to spend too much time on. I got away with just a few smaller Fenix lights that I spread around the house and never find when I need them - small is not always good - and I decided not to look at any more sites.

Stefan
    Exactly the same thing that I did. Except I can find mine

So where's the custom knife with the built in flashlight so you can see what you're cutting during a power outage?