Quantcast
Anyone into flashlights? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Anyone into flashlights?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denton, Tx
    Posts
    510
    I'm currently looking for a dependable, bright and very small EDC flashlight. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 4Sevens Quark Mini but haven't done so yet. I want something that is bright while still remaining extremely small, I'm willing to sacrifice power for size as I don't want to EDC something that is the size of 2 AAs. Does anyone have any input on anything better suited for this purpose in the sub $80 range?

    Name:  2minis.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.4 KB

  2. #12
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Picked up this bad boy last year. By far, one of the most useful purchases I've made in a long time...

    Attachment 4981
    I have a surefire like that. Always been partial to surefires and maglites.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    389
    I have had a number of high power flashlights, including Surefires, Fenix, Maglights and so on. Most will do fine around the house or camping and such. But the Surefires are designed to be used in more serious social situations. The switches work properly for on-demand full power light when you want it and without inadvertant light that gives away your position. In weapons classes, virtually everyone eventually goes to Surefires. I carry an E2 at all times, and don't know how I lived without it.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    I have had a number of high power flashlights, including Surefires, Fenix, Maglights and so on. Most will do fine around the house or camping and such. But the Surefires are designed to be used in more serious social situations. The switches work properly for on-demand full power light when you want it and without inadvertant light that gives away your position. In weapons classes, virtually everyone eventually goes to Surefires. I carry an E2 at all times, and don't know how I lived without it.
    Love my surefires. Use maglites sometimes only because my surefires eat batteries and bulbs quicker than my maglites.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    389
    These can reduce your battery cost somewhat.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-40-pac...PK/ref=sr_1_1?

    I use a Fenix LED for household chores. Far better battery life with LED.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    .... Always been partial to surefires and maglites.
    Nice to see a fellow Californian supporting local business.

    Of course it's easy to do when they make great products.

    As with the knife makers, I love buying from comapnies with excellent products, excellent service and great back stories, especially when they're in my own back yard. Maglite and SureFire are way up on that list.

    Which reminds me, Pelican has a new light I need to pick up.

  7. #17
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    So where's the custom knife with the built in flashlight so you can see what you're cutting during a power outage?
    You know, I was thinking about building a little light into a handle but then dropped the idea as 'too crazy' But thinking about that other thread where people can obviously sell the weirdest things to people, I may come back to that


    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm currently looking for a dependable, bright and very small EDC flashlight. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 4Sevens Quark Mini but haven't done so yet. I want something that is bright while still remaining extremely small, I'm willing to sacrifice power for size as I don't want to EDC something that is the size of 2 AAs. Does anyone have any input on anything better suited for this purpose in the sub $80 range?

    Name:  2minis.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  76.4 KB
    I have the small Quark Mini (the only one besides the 2 Fenix and the few Maglites that everybody has..) and it's great - again, if I find it... I was worried a bit about follow-up cost with the unusual and expensive battery, but the first one has now been in there since day one and they seem to hold up forever. I would definitely buy it again.

    Stefan

  8. #18
    Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,044
    Can't say I have paid a lot for flashlights, except for a few SCUBA diving lights. Then again, paying $2-300 on a SCUBA light is important considering all the rascals out there in deep blue, and night diving of course.
    Jason

  9. #19
    Senior Member DeepCSweede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mequon, WI
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Can't say I have paid a lot for flashlights, except for a few SCUBA diving lights. Then again, paying $2-300 on a SCUBA light is important considering all the rascals out there in deep blue, and night diving of course.
    That is the only purchase I have made for a light over $200. Not to mention the strobe LED that I picked up for $150 to go with it. It is amazing how black it can be at night underwater in the ocean - Lakes can be even worse.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    These can reduce your battery cost somewhat.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-40-pac...PK/ref=sr_1_1?
    Thanks for that. Awesome deal. I use those little CR123A batteries in everything. I have Streamlight TRL-1 tactical lights mounted everywhere in addition to a Surefire E2E in my everyday side pocket.

    -M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •