Anyone into flashlights?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
As a kid I always had a fascination with knives and flashlights. That rabbit hole is pretty deep as well and I've managed to stay out of it. I have a handful of cheap chinese knockoff flashlights from dealextreme.com (I do love this site a lot!) and I don't know how they compare with the real expensive stuff but they are far and away the best flashlights I've ever seen or used.

These are the two I have left:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/spider...lumen-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-18650-19767
sku_19767_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultraf...atile-flashlight-cr123a-18650-18500-aaa-17401
sku_17401_1.jpg

One of them lights up the entire front lawn and the other throws a far and precise beam.

I don't know much about flashlights and I try to keep it that way otherwise its easy to get sucked into another expensive hobby, but at times I find myself browsing flashlights and watching youtube videos for hours.

I don't know much about flashlights and I try to keep it that way otherwise its easy to get sucked into another expensive hobby, but at times I find myself browsing flashlights and watching youtube videos for hours.

I need more self-control in that way, anytime I just need something to perform a task I end up with a hobby more expensive and unnecessary than the last, and usually still don't have the thing I originally needed. Browsing for damascus flashlights and watching youtube videos means you probably can't turn back now; and you may have dragged me down as well, I am already thinking of justifications for a custom damascus flashlight.

Picked up this bad boy last year. By far, one of the most useful purchases I've made in a long time...

Brite Strike.jpg

I actually am a member of candlepowerforums and those guys are as messed up as we are. That damascus flashlight I think went for $1800 . I haven't bought anything, but I love to see what crazy stuff they come up with.

I looked at flashlights and decided that terrain is too dangerous to spend too much time on. I got away with just a few smaller Fenix lights that I spread around the house and never find when I need them - small is not always good - and I decided not to look at any more sites.

Stefan

Knives and flashlight where also 2 of my early fascinations as a kid. Problem was that batteries where a precious commodity and didn't last long. Now in the age of magic power regulated LED's I can go for almost a year without changing the battery in my little EDC.

I bought a few lights, but nothing really wiz-bang extreme. I've sure looked though... Gator (of zknifes) is also into flashlights and has some really cool custom stuff on his site. Every time I start looking at flashlights, I find cooler and cooler stuff until I finally find something that I HAVE to have... then I see the price and have to turn off the monitor and go play with my other toys.

So far the best flashlight purchase that I've ever made has been my a little streamlight micro stream. It's not much bigger than the AAA batter that powers it and it's just the right brightness for most every night tasks like illuminating a walk way, finding keys, talking the dog out, without being blinding bright. The beam is actually a good combination of wide flood with enough focus in the center to get decent distance (maybe 15' to 20' fairly usable at night). product page: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=144

mine:
20120229_004406.jpg

I think custom flashlights can be more addicting than knives. After acquiring around 30 of them I decided that the stream of new lights would never end and decided that I already had more lights than I would ever use. Some of the group have proven very useful and see daily use however.

The world's first damascus flashlight was this wonderful creation by "Mr. Bulk" called the DamCham.
http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=7637.0;topicseen
The flashlight is only 3-1/4" long and is quite heavy being made of steel.
I grabbed one of the 27 made but have never used it and may sell it in the future. A great hobby collecting small LED flashlights that can absorb a lot of your time and cash.

The second damascus flashlight made came from England in the latter part of 2006, the Raw Da.
Some good photos of it can be seen a ways down this thread (second group of photos).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?120893-Raw-Da-(Damascus)-Sign-Up-List/page7

That's a useful little light that I still use along with its brothers in nickel silver, aluminum, and stainless steel. A sterling silver one was offered as well as a few other variations.

There are some really cool lights out there, do check them out. Candlepowerforums is the place to spend days looking around.

I looked at flashlights and decided that terrain is too dangerous to spend too much time on. I got away with just a few smaller Fenix lights that I spread around the house and never find when I need them - small is not always good - and I decided not to look at any more sites.

Stefan

Exactly the same thing that I did. Except I can find mine:D

So where's the custom knife with the built in flashlight so you can see what you're cutting during a power outage?

I'm currently looking for a dependable, bright and very small EDC flashlight. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 4Sevens Quark Mini but haven't done so yet. I want something that is bright while still remaining extremely small, I'm willing to sacrifice power for size as I don't want to EDC something that is the size of 2 AAs. Does anyone have any input on anything better suited for this purpose in the sub $80 range?

2minis.jpg

I have had a number of high power flashlights, including Surefires, Fenix, Maglights and so on. Most will do fine around the house or camping and such. But the Surefires are designed to be used in more serious social situations. The switches work properly for on-demand full power light when you want it and without inadvertant light that gives away your position. In weapons classes, virtually everyone eventually goes to Surefires. I carry an E2 at all times, and don't know how I lived without it.

I have had a number of high power flashlights, including Surefires, Fenix, Maglights and so on. Most will do fine around the house or camping and such. But the Surefires are designed to be used in more serious social situations. The switches work properly for on-demand full power light when you want it and without inadvertant light that gives away your position. In weapons classes, virtually everyone eventually goes to Surefires. I carry an E2 at all times, and don't know how I lived without it.

Love my surefires. Use maglites sometimes only because my surefires eat batteries and bulbs quicker than my maglites.

.... Always been partial to surefires and maglites.
Nice to see a fellow Californian supporting local business.

Of course it's easy to do when they make great products.

As with the knife makers, I love buying from comapnies with excellent products, excellent service and great back stories, especially when they're in my own back yard. Maglite and SureFire are way up on that list.

Which reminds me, Pelican has a new light I need to pick up.

So where's the custom knife with the built in flashlight so you can see what you're cutting during a power outage?

You know, I was thinking about building a little light into a handle but then dropped the idea as 'too crazy' But thinking about that other thread where people can obviously sell the weirdest things to people, I may come back to that :)

I'm currently looking for a dependable, bright and very small EDC flashlight. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a 4Sevens Quark Mini but haven't done so yet. I want something that is bright while still remaining extremely small, I'm willing to sacrifice power for size as I don't want to EDC something that is the size of 2 AAs. Does anyone have any input on anything better suited for this purpose in the sub $80 range?

View attachment 4998

I have the small Quark Mini (the only one besides the 2 Fenix and the few Maglites that everybody has..) and it's great - again, if I find it... I was worried a bit about follow-up cost with the unusual and expensive battery, but the first one has now been in there since day one and they seem to hold up forever. I would definitely buy it again.

Stefan

Can't say I have paid a lot for flashlights, except for a few SCUBA diving lights. Then again, paying $2-300 on a SCUBA light is important considering all the rascals out there in deep blue, and night diving of course.

That is the only purchase I have made for a light over $200. Not to mention the strobe LED that I picked up for $150 to go with it. It is amazing how black it can be at night underwater in the ocean - Lakes can be even worse.

I got a 4Sevens Quark MiniX 123. AMAZING flashlight.

It's small enough to carry every day without a problem. Needs a battery about every 4-6 months(if that), and the battery is $3. It is dim enough on it's low setting that I don't disturb sleeping people in the same room, and bright enough on high that I can(and did) illuminate my entire kitchen/living/dining room for a few hours by putting it on the island. It's made in America. It's got a TEN YEAR warranty, and it's only $40.

I love my flashlight. I don't leave home without it.

I had a Surefire E2E that I loved but had to sell it a few years ago when times got tough. I loved that little light, it's so powerfully blinding but man did it melt through batteries like nothing else. Not too long ago a good friend gifted me a Nitecore Extreme (R2) which is an LED light (using only 1 - CR123 battery) and I love this one as well. This light is far more practical and useful than the Surefire simply because it's still crazy bright (yeah not nearly as bright as the Surefire granted - but still pretty good for blinding someone) for it's size yet doesn't eat the batteries nearly 1/4 as fast. Lights sure are fun. :)

I use a LED Streamlight Strion at work each night on my duty belt along with a Surefire 6P LED (I work 3rd shift) and have a Strion LED HP in my bag for the times I need the "Light Saber". We had a few multi day power outages in CT this past year and that sucker could light up the whole street. Works great at clearing the parties out, too. No one likes it hitting them in their eyes. I have a few Surefires (Z2 Combat, G2 converted to LED) and a Streamlight TLR-1. I really like the LED's. Good and bright, gets peoples attention and the batteries last longer. I prefer a rechargeable, but I buy the CR123A's by the dozen at one of my wholesalers, so it's not as painful to change out the batteries.

Latest posts

Back