Quantcast
Horror Show - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Horror Show

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Its never funny! Just losing your tools to someone playing around (no matter the cost) can throw you off. Ask a mechanic what he would do if he found out who took his tools. I bet it is a lot worse than what a chef with his knifes would do. Or ask a gunsmith. But most cooks make fun of their tools. (in the us.)

Some people don't get it. Ive asked people not to do certain things with my knives and they just say "What's it going to do to your knife" and do it anyways. Point being they didn't pay for the tools so they shouldn't use them improperly or without permission. These are guys that use $20 p.o.s. knives generally or don't work in the kitchen and think "wow! That's a nice knife"
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    So what is up with pro kitchens? Are all knife bags considered to be house knives?

Jay
    GOOD LORD NO! You don't touch my stuff, and I don't touch yours unless you ask. And when you use it you better bring it back clean and not damaged. I have seen a cook borrow a knife, let another cook use it, then the dishwasher send it through the machine. This is why no one uses my stuff anymore.

Tonight I was in the office for a bit, came out to find my knives in a different place where I left them and the tip was broken off my Konosuke Fujiyama. Only a couple mm but I was still pretty pissed off. I asked the banquet chef who was standing right next to them what happened and his answer was "I don't know" ....... shoemaker

even in your kitchen. That sucks balls. the infamous not me did it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Dont have any misconceptions about my kitchen. Its union and some of the staff has been there for 20yrs. Everyday is like trying to herd cats. All the great stuff we're doing is b/c the Exec, Chef d'cuisine, and fellow sous bust ass.

A couple days ago one of the line guys was "chiffonading" parsely with a dull scimitar.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
    GOOD LORD NO! You don't touch my stuff, and I don't touch yours unless you ask. And when you use it you better bring it back clean and not damaged. I have seen a cook borrow a knife, let another cook use it, then the dishwasher send it through the machine. This is why no one uses my stuff anymore.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    One coworker hid my knife and my phone from me one day. As soon as I found it, I walked out for the day. Never happened again.
    You walked out mid shift because some pranked you a little bit, and you were able to keep your job?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    You mean "are all knives cooks bring in considered communal property"? Maybe by some tools and d-bags, but I give every new person a stern talking to, especially the dishwasher. I tell them what's what, I show them my knives, let them use them to show them how well they work, and then show them how many knives and knife-related things I have on my person every day(it's a lot). They generally end up laughing or staring with their eyebrows raised, but they don't touch my knives.

One coworker hid my knife and my phone from me one day. As soon as I found it, I walked out for the day. Never happened again.
    Seems overly dramatic to me.

Just to refresh this thread a little, I sharpened all my knives the other day on the new 5k Chosera I bought, and today was the first day I had used them since being sharpened. One of my co-workers cut a cake on a metal tray with my Konosuke so the thing is useless now, much much blunter now than it was before I sharpened it. Rather than using one of the dozens of beater knives or bread knives, someone decided they just had to cut a cake with a 270 Western rehandled Konosuke with its nicely polished edge! Why do I bother......