Quantcast
Horror Show - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Horror Show

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    And people think we are nuts because we don't want them to touch our stuff. I've got a few crap knives I leave out for the non-believers.

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Dont have any misconceptions about my kitchen. Its union and some of the staff has been there for 20yrs. Everyday is like trying to herd cats.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a kitchen Union.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ya hospitality unions are everywhere. Some are worth the time but most well.... I grew up in a union family and used to be "proud" to be union. Until I seen a few bad ones that just tried to put the employer out of business.

From what I've read about unions, they can be so much for the workers that they end up putting everyone out of a job because the company can no longer compete.

On the other side of things, they are also often the only protection an employee has against an overbearing/malicious boss that is trying to cut corners, save money, or just get rid of you with no regard to protocol or fair means.

The right wing machine produces propaganda against unions because the money hates worker empowerment.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

It wasn't only my knives, that was a PITA, it was that the knife stealing led to stealing my phone from right under me. That's not a prank, it cut off the only line of communication between my wife and kids and me. My daughter has been rushed to the hospital twice while I was on shift and figured they'd be fine at home.

Can't fire him, so I vote with my feet. The other alternative was to introduce him to the floor a few times. Which would you prefer, one man missing, or full staff with one half dead?

The idea that an employer owns you while at work never made sense to me. My family comes way, way, way before my job.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    The idea that an employer owns you while at work never made sense to me. My family comes way, way, way before my job.
    Struggling with this right now with my work. Salary doesn't mean I will be at work around the clock. They take that to mean a lack of passion and love for my work. Can't a person have passions and interests outside of work... like family?

When did passion and love of the job become a euphemism for 'slave labor'?

Sorry- rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The right wing machine produces propaganda against unions because the money hates worker empowerment.
    That's pretty narrowminded Spike. I grew up in a Teamster family and am still amazed by the crap they used to pull! If I was the boss I would have fired my own father.

Ever work with local 100 in NYC? Most of the chefs that I know that employ union labor spend most of the day dealing with BS grievance paperwork than anything else.

Even in my situation, I need to have a paper trail a mile long along with several smoking guns just to get someone counseled, never mind fired.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Ask a mechanic what he would do if he found out who took his tools.

I've seen first hand what happens when someone "borrows" a tool from the red Snap-On box without asking, wasn't pretty.

I bought a knife roll with extra space so when I replace more of my wusthofs I can keep them there for loaners, I don't want to pass off a $250+ blade when we have 75 cooks going and get it back merked if at all. I work in a Union Kitchen currently and it's both a good and bad thing. Can get our time off, over time. better job security and all but at the same time people abuse it a lot. People have pulled no shows to drink several days in a row on me, used a b.s. excuse and are still employed. That was fun
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

+ Reply to Thread