Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror Show

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Good to know you guiys get discounts at those stores. But how do you prove to them you are a pro?
    I think you need a pay stub. Maybe more I'm not too sure

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I posted this one about 4 months back. It was at a vacation rental I stayed at.

k.
    I recognize that pattern. That is from trying to use it as a screwdriver. How do I know- had a construction worker decide to use one to unscrew something. glad that knife was only 5$.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Good to know you guiys get discounts at those stores. But how do you prove to them you are a pro?
    Pay stub, but the way I got mine were I just walk in after class in my T.A. chef coat it shows I am an employee at the school so I never had to show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I have been tempted by that knife myself, assuming it is this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...santoku-knives
    That is the same as the Gekko line from JCK, the Togiharu line from Korin, and a bunch of other places that have the same OEM make them a knife. He should return it for a refund and buy it somewhere else for WAY less.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    That is the same as the Gekko line from JCK, the Togiharu line from Korin, and a bunch of other places that have the same OEM make them a knife. He should return it for a refund and buy it somewhere else for WAY less.
    My interest in the Kikuichi (if you choose to call it that, given what I have just learned) waned as soon as I hit the forums, but I would still rather have one of those than anything else on the wall at Williams-Sonoma.

I find it interesting that when you choose to "shop by brand" on the W-S site, "Kikuichi" isn't listed, nor are they found on the "what's new" page. One must choose the proper category (chef's, paring) and then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to see them. Perhaps W-S doesn't want to anger the Germans and/or Shun!

They do tell a nice story about the brand though:

"The Kikuichi history of fine craftsmanship dates back to 12th century Japan, when an ancestor became a swordsmith for the emperor, marking each sword with the monarch’s chrysanthemum symbol. Today this proud tradition of metalwork continues with beautiful cutlery etched with this enduring emblem. Handcrafted in Japan, their chef’s knife has the power and precision you need for slicing, chopping, mincing and dicing."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Yes but if he had originally bought it at any other place, they would not have replaced this knife for him, so I say he's already ahead.

Really surprised they replaced that knife though. It wouldn't even have occured to me to go to a store and ask them to replace it if someone broke it.

Also, words cannot express the fury I felt reading the story and then clicking the picture afterwards.

So what is up with pro kitchens? Are all knife bags considered to be house knives?

Jay

Generally speaking no, I don't use anyone else's gear without asking first and expect the same of mine. Working with 75 cooks at peak season you would never be able to hold on to them if that where the case. I'm slowly rotating my Wusthof's into my tool box for loaners as I replace them.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    So what is up with pro kitchens? Are all knife bags considered to be house knives?

Jay
    You mean "are all knives cooks bring in considered communal property"? Maybe by some tools and d-bags, but I give every new person a stern talking to, especially the dishwasher. I tell them what's what, I show them my knives, let them use them to show them how well they work, and then show them how many knives and knife-related things I have on my person every day(it's a lot). They generally end up laughing or staring with their eyebrows raised, but they don't touch my knives.

One coworker hid my knife and my phone from me one day. As soon as I found it, I walked out for the day. Never happened again.

^someone thought that was funny?
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience