Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some stainless success!

Some stainless success!

Well I have a stuck billet, a simple damascus, about 60-70 layers however many I managed to squeeze in the can. The weld went rather well and when I managed to peel and grind it out of the mangled can I had a solid lump of stainless.
    The pattern looks pretty blotchy on top, on grinding it should be a nice rippled laminate, I did a kind of forged ladder effect.
    I'll try some of this san mai'd up blue paper steel and see how it goes. I'm hoping to get hold of some thin pure nickel to put in next to the core to keep the carbon inside at stainless welding temperatures.
    Anyway here's a couple of pics.

What steel combo did you use?

Joe. for now I used what I could find in small quantities of shim stock without making any big orders. 304L and 430. The contrast is in the difference in nickel content. Not really gona get any blacks in there but I think it should look nice with a proper finish and etch.

Woo-wee! Stainless Dammy on an Aogami core? OUTSIDE of Japan? Seriously, are you the only guy doing this?

Nicely done will. I bet those will contrast very well once etched.

Hey Will

Whatever you are making of it, I would like to purchase this item if it is not spoken for..

Kindly allow me to select the wood and only request is is 12cm handle and a shorter neck of teh knife
    Been busy over the week-end huh....

Have fun

rgds

D

Many thanks guys. I was very stoked and brought the billet home with me so I can fondle it, i'm that weird.
    David, well thats always good to know, This is very much a test billet. See how it goes from here. The idea is to get some knives together from either this billet or another and do some testing. If all is well and I can confidently repeat the process, I'll adjust my pre-order options. I'll try some simple stainless clad too.
    I had forgotten how critical the heat heat is on forging stainless and i'll have to see how that effects my process, as i've got used to finishing blades pretty close to final taper by using dull red heats in the power hammer. Stainless likes to crack forged below 1000 degrees C and turns into moulten oat meal if you hit it above 1200. I'm still ironing out the finer points, but its a start.

Im looking forward to see what you end up with WillC
    You have put yourself on my radar. I have a no new order policy for 2012, so I cannot order a knife from you. I have 14 knives coming my way in 2012, and due to me being a home chef I cannot order more atm However I really like your knives. I think you have some really nice profiles, and Im interested in how they preform.

Are there any guilds in Europe like the ABS in america?

Cool, thanks Olvind, maybe you can test something from me this year at least. I'm not sure about Knife guilds, I'm awarded a diploma of merit by the Worshipful company of blacksmiths which allows me the letters AWCB after my name. I notice there is one ABS MS listed in the uk so maybe I could do the testing through him, its something I need to enquire about. I would enjoy the challenge if it were possible.

Jim Jackson is the one ABS MS that I know of in the UK. Nice guy and he has had some pretty interesting jobs in the past like "Queen's Armourer". Now the bad news. You have to be an ABS member for 2 years before you can do the performance test for JS and 3 years before you can stand for judging at Atlanta or San Antonio.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Cool, thanks Olvind, maybe you can test something from me this year at least. I'm not sure about Knife guilds, I'm awarded a diploma of merit by the Worshipful company of blacksmiths which allows me the letters AWCB after my name. I notice there is one ABS MS listed in the uk so maybe I could do the testing through him, its something I need to enquire about. I would enjoy the challenge if it were possible.