Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working with ivory

that's what I'm here for. haha!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Find John Perry MS and order both sizes of his handle broaches. You will be glad you did.

For sideways cutting you can also use Foredom cutting drills, they come in thinner than 1/8" but you will need the matching collets for them and they don't go very deep: http://www.foredom.net/drills.aspx I use them to clean out the ferrule slots a little bit before I switch to files. Just be careful with the heat again - at 15,000 RPM the material heats up quite fast...

Stefan

Bill, I can make broaches and such, I have done so many times over the years in making jewelry. I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I've seen John Perry's and will use them for inspiration.
    Stefan, the area near the opening is not the problem, I have that covered, it's the 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the bottom of the hole that are the issue! The 00 files that I'm using work but are just a bit slow, so I will make a broach out of some of the plentiful scrap pile of O1 that I have in stock!
    I really appreciate all of the helpful suggestions and tips from everyone, and I am making progress!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    .... so I will make a broach out of some of the plentiful scrap pile of O1 that I have in stock!
    So, how much will you sell the extras for I could use some...

Stefan

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    I dont know if you have a surface grinder or not but a broach can be made very easily from an old file with one, as long as you have a stone for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Bill, I can make broaches and such, I have done so many times over the years in making jewelry. I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I've seen John Perry's and will use them for inspiration.
    Stefan, the area near the opening is not the problem, I have that covered, it's the 1 1/2 to 2 inches at the bottom of the hole that are the issue! The 00 files that I'm using work but are just a bit slow, so I will make a broach out of some of the plentiful scrap pile of O1 that I have in stock!
    I really appreciate all of the helpful suggestions and tips from everyone, and I am making progress!

I've made similar tools for working with hard carving wax. I use a small cutoff wheel with diamond surface in a flex shaft machine and just cut whatever teeth I need. I finished the hole for the tang today with some coarse cut wax files now it's on to the final shaping of the handle!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig