Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rader 10 inch Gyuto

Sweet-looking knife. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to an eval after you've used it a while!

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post
    ...I prefer ... an upswept tip...
    Thanks guys. Let's talk about tips a bit if you don't mind:

I'm still -slowly- starting to understand the importance of many aspects of blade/edge geometry and profile, but the tip design is still one thing I have not fully grasped yet. To me, a casual user of my own knives, the tip is just there and regardless of whether it is flatter, or more upswept, I don't notice a difference... I just use it. So, tell me, when you guys are using a Gyuto/chef for hours a day, how does the tip shape/profile really help or hinder your work?

-M

Amazing knife as always! Rader's work is incredible to look at!
    Not that I'm a pro, but the tip can sort of become a non-factor by being placed too high, and can also limit the use by being too low. It's a fine balance, and one that varies from person to person. I think this one looks goods
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board. It is also nice if you use the knife as a slicer to maximize the edge length. A flatter profile benefits those that tend to chop more or at least push/pull cut with smaller amount of rocking. More pointed tips are nice to have when doing finer work and you don't want to switch knives to a petty, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board.
    I had never thought of that, since no knife I've used has been that flat, but I can see how this would be a big problem. It'd be really annoying for me to cut with a knife that had too low/flat of a tip.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If you point your tip down as you begin a forward cutting motion, it's nice to have an upswept tip so it doesn't embed in the board. It is also nice if you use the knife as a slicer to maximize the edge length. A flatter profile benefits those that tend to chop more or at least push/pull cut with smaller amount of rocking. More pointed tips are nice to have when doing finer work and you don't want to switch knives to a petty, for example.
    Wouldn't the tip need to be very low (or the angle of attack extremely high) for this to be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Wouldn't the tip need to be very low (or the angle of attack extremely high) for this to be a problem?
    Depends on the cut and the person making it. Some people think a Carter profile is too flat. A lot of people think a TKC or even KonHD are too curved.

Actually, I remember the one and only time I embeded my tip in a board. It was my Carter funi. Pesky was distracting me. Go figure.

Nice. Thanks guys. Fortunately, the tip profile is easy to modify so my customers can talk to me a bit about it before I forge and grind it in. That's an easy one.

Thanks for the comments. -M

Michael's work is truly exceptional. I really enjoyed my time in the pass around. If the opportunity ever comes up I would surely like to own one.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Amazing knife! I love your integrated bolsters and handles, truly exceptional work! Going to have to add one to my arsenal sometime soon.